Re:- Text Format in Forums ---o00o---`(_)`---o00o---

Re: - Text Format in Forums ---o00o---`(_)`---o00o---

P.s.I used my empirically derived method for pasting in this from WORD which allows me to keep the format (but unfortunately misses out a space between some words??)

Testing Reply with Quote ......." Try clicking 'Reply with Quote" at the bottom of your post above ......................................... "

Hello Peter,

. Thanks very much for the quick response (Unfortunately I got it a bit late as I am on a different “Time Scale“ here in Germany!!)
. ------------

. 1) ....“Reply with Quotes, testing”.....:Sorry if I have cluttered up this thread now with practicing the ...“Reply with Quote” ...Stuff!!. But I think I have missed the point again… Replying with quotes to your reply and comparing that with replying to my original all work and look the same by me?? That is Probably because I do not fully understand how to quote bits (or rather several bits in the same box) of a Thread or Reply…. I simply click “Reply With Quote” and then delete the bits I do not want, which means that I would reply more than once if replying with more than one quote part. But this point is not too important. I expect I will stumble upon that point eventually as well!!
. ------------

. ( 2) “The Word document waswritten for the MrExcel HTML Maker only, not the VBHTMLMaker.“ Yeah, I realized that, but the instillation method seems to work the same for the VBHTMLMaker )

------------------

Click the Office button at the top left of the Excel window -> Excel Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings... -> Macro Settings -> Tick "Trust access to the VBA project object model" -> OK -> OK
See if that gets you closer.

. 3) Those were very precise instructions and I could follow them quickly (even though my words are in German!!). Yes it did get me closer!. I now have the VBHTMLMaker in the project window. But if I try to do anything with it, a small window opens with the title VBHTMLMaker Kennwort and is asking me for a "Kennwort" ("Password" in English) which I do not have.
. Do you know what that Pasword should be? I tried a few random words but it didnot accept them.

Thanks again.
. As I mentioned before I am only looking for a simple way to copy my code as it is in my code window and paste it in the forum without losing format (Colors etc.). I expect I am getting out of my depth now with all the HTML stuff!! For now I can simply do it manually as you suggested before..” 1. Use code tags as described in thelast line of my signature block. You still have to do any colour, bold etcmanually (in the reply window, not where you are composing if composing elsewhere) “ ... (or use my “empirically found IE WORD method” !!)
Alan.
Midday, Germany

Last edited:

But I think I have missed the point again…
Yes, I think you have. If you Reply with Quote post #22 you will find "[FONT=Verdana]" 23 times with as many closing Font tags, even more "Color" opening & closing tags, as well as a significant number of Bold, Italics etc tags. To read your quoted post and to edit it to post part of it are much more difficult than this one for example.
- Why do you need to use Verdana rather than the standard forum font?
- Do you think we need to be told 23 times that you are using Verdana?
- Why do you need to use green, black, pale grey, ... colours so much?

I have to say that I would soon tire of trying to navigate all those extra tags and begin to bypass your posts. I suspect some other forum members would do the same.

But if I try to do anything with it, a small window opens with the title [/FONT][/COLOR]VBHTMLMaker Kennwort and is asking me for a "Kennwort" ("Password" in English) which I do not have.
. Do you know what that Pasword should be?
I don't know why you are being asked for a password, but you should not need to know it - I certainly don't

To use the VBHTML Maker you should be ablt to right click in your code and see 4 extra options at the bottom of the drop-down menu re HTML and BB code and test those. Alternatively, those extra items should also appear as part of the Tools menu in the VBE editor window.

I rest my case about the awkwardness of quoting parts of your posts - I thought I had done it carefully but in the second quote above you will see that I failed to delete/keep properly matching pairs of tags and hence some of them remain visible in the quote.

If you Reply with Quote post #22 you will find "[FONT=Verdana]" 23 times with as many closing Font tags, even more "Color" opening & closing tags, as well as a significant number of Bold, Italics etc tags. To read your quoted post and to edit it to post part of it are much more difficult than this one for example.

Hi Peter
. Thanks again, very sorry to be a pain!! I had no idea that I was making things difficult!!
. When I reply with quote (for example to my post #22) a screen showing all those Font and other Tags that you mentioned only appears for a very short split second- much too short for anybody to read!!. Then I only see permanently normal Text. I thought everybody did!! So I could have no idea that I was making things difficult to read. - I did not realize that people like yourself see all these Tags etc!. I did not realize that people have to ( or choose to?) see all these Tags. Is that the case just for moderators, or do other users read somehow in this format that includes all those tags. Again I could have no idea that people had to (or chose to) “navigate all the extra tags….”.
. - Like I said .. when I click ”reply with Quote” to my (or anybodies Thread) I only have Quote Tags – one at the start and one at the end (and also Code tags if there is code in code tags in the reply.). I even just tried “Replying with quote” to some of my very first very colorful threads! – But I still see only normal text and none of all the extra Tags that you talk about. !?!
. I apologies for all the inconvenience. As I said I could have no idea that I was generating all these extra confusing Tags. I simply never see them!! Is it just a peculiarity again of different browsers, or can you tell me simply how I can see what you are seeing ( I mean all the Extra Font Tags etc).
. After your early comments in May, I did considerably moderate my formats. And I shall try to do so again. It is very difficult for a beginner when I just see normal text and have no idea that you (and maybe some others) are somehow viewing in a format full with extra formatting tags that I cannot see.

- Why do you need to use Verdana rather than the standard forum font?
- Do you think we need to be told 23 times that you are using Verdana?
- Why do you need to use green, black, pale grey, ... colours so much?

I have to say that I would soon tire of trying to navigate all those extra tags and begin to bypass your posts. I suspect some other forum members would do the same.

. I do not really need that stuff. I simply had no idea it was causing so many problems. Up until now I only had comments initially that I was using bright (green for example) colors, which I then immediately stopped using.

I don't know why you are being asked for a password, but you should not need to know it - I certainly don't

To use the VBHTML Maker you should be ablt to right click in your code and see 4 extra options at the bottom of the drop-down menu re HTML and BB code and test those. Alternatively, those extra items should also appear as part of the Tools menu in the VBE editor window.

. I did have a wild inexperienced guess that a right click might have given me extra option to do with the VBHTML Maker. So I did try that yesterday. But I had no extra options. I thought that was because I could not get past the Password stage. Today however, those options are there!!! Possibly because I have restarted my computer. Presumably then the VBHtmlMaker is simply “Locked” with this password to prevent people seeing wot is there. But as you say I appear not to need to know the password (or access macros in the project?), so I just ignore it and use the right click thing. I shall try to find the time to practice that today. I am grateful again for your help on this one.
. (Maybe there were some instructions for its use somewhere which I missed??)

Hi Peter

P.s. 1 My last two messages were done in Google Chrome. So I expect you see less Tag problems as I could not seem to keep my WORD format here ( http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/test-here/787925-code-tag-color-change-problem.html ) Yesterday they were done in IE 9 with the method whereby my format was kept. If you have a last bit of patients with me I would appreciate you telling me if these replies were OK.

p.s.2 Is there an easy way to explain to me how I can see all those extra font Tags . That might be the key to me understanding how to reply with several quotes in one reply , instead of having to do a reply per quote as I habnve just done 3 times above.

. Thanks again Peter for your help (and patients!!)
. Alan Elston

p.s.2 Is there an easy way to explain to me how I can see all those extra font Tags .
What people see depends on their profile settings. Go into Settings (top right of screen near 'Log Out') then General Settings (towards bottom left of screen), scroll right to the bottom and select 'Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls' (that's the setting I use) in the second last section, Save Changes. Now go back to post #22 and 'Reply With Quote' & I think you will see what I mean.

Just checking a last time to see if I "get the point" about QUOTEs etc.

Go into Settings (top right of screen near 'Log Out') then General Settings (towards bottom left of screen), scroll right to the bottom and select 'Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls' (that's the setting I use) in the second last section, Save Changes.
Very clear instructions again, thanks I could follow them very quickly.

. When I reply with quote (for example to my post #22) a screen showing all those Font and other Tags that you mentioned only appears for a very short split second- much too short for anybody to read!!..

I will try now here to work in this new 'Editor' As I expected it looks just like the split second shot you get when you are in the 'Enhanced Interface - Full WISYWYG Editor'. I think the confusion is understandable -clearly you have always been using this 'Standard editor', but I expect most peole use the 'Enhanced Interface - Full WISYWYG Editor' as I was. - After all the 'Enhanced Interface - Full WISYWYG' is the default that one gets , so one could be fooled into thinking it is the 'Standard'! (And of course the 'Enhanced Interface - Full WISYWYG Editor' looks more "normal" to the naked (inexperienced!) eye"!)

Now go back to post #22 and 'Reply With Quote' & I think you will see what I mean.
- Yes clearly I see all the Tags etc. now!!!! Sorry!!. As a punishment I will try to 'navigate' and simplify a quote from earlier from me!!

. 1) ....“Reply with Quotes, testing”.....:Sorry if I have cluttered up this thread now with practicing the ...“Reply with Quote” ...Stuff!!. But I think I have missed the point again… Replying with quotes to your reply and comparing that with replying to my original all work and look the same by me?? That is Probably because I do not fully understand how to quote bits (or rather several bits in the same box) of a Thread or Reply…. I simply click “Reply With Quote” and then delete the bits I do not want, which means that I would reply more than once if replying with more than one quote part. But this point is not too important. I expect I will stumble upon that point eventually as well!!

If I have finally "Got it", then this reply looks OK and has several Quotes in the same reply!!

well.... here goes....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back