Device I/O Error - VBA Hacker?

ChrisOK

Could someone tell me what would be causes for a " DEVICE I/O Error" to appear?

I have a file that was shared and protected on a server.
It was suspected that someone went into the unpassworded VBA editor and wiped out the sheets from the workbook- leaving only the "shell" of the file behind.

Once done, you could not even "insert a new sheet" --

Now that the damage is done --- when you go to open the file - you get a simple: VBA Dialog Box which says: Device I/O Error
Once you say: OK - then the file finishes opening - and it just looks like an empty shell.
File name is at the top - but no sheets are present any longer.
All options - such as SAVE AS and INSERT sheet are grayed out and inaccessible....
Luckily, I had a back up - but with the investigation - I need more info!

I'm going to be meeting with our IT group to discuss the entire hacker situation today - and want more info on what would generate this error - other than a hacker getting into the file and destroying it.

Or is it plain and simple:
This error was generated (BECAUSE) someone accessed the VBA area and wiped out the guts of the file?

If this is the case - great -- if not -- then I need more info --
Thanks!
Need info ASAP --
Thanks
Chris

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi Chris,

Hm, sounds strange however have You checked that the all the VBA-code is deleted or is some part still left and have been changed?

I suspect that there still exist some garbish-code in the workbook.

In my opinion there always exist at least one "smart a..." at the office. Usually the one who believe has more skillnes then he really has. Yes, it propably a he.

Solution - don´t let him use a computer at all...

Good luck
Dennis

Upvote 0
Hi ChrisOK,

I suspect that the error was caused by the fact that technically Excel is not supposed to be able to save a file with no sheets. But since the file is shared, and therefore changes occur even before the file is saved, Excel may not have been able to protect against this.

Yes, it is quite easy to delete sheets from the VBE immediate pane. If you have not already done so you should make sure they are not just hidden (visible property set to xlVeryHidden) by looking for them in the Project pane of the VBE.

I cannot think of a way this could occur other than hacking, but I would not totally rule out the possibility of some other less disturbing explanation.

Damon

Upvote 0
Yes, within the Project Pane --- the only items listed are the add-ins -- but no workbook sheets are listed....

I've tried clicking on all the other VIEW options - and don't see anything that would enable visibility... such as the Immediate, Locals, Watch windows, Object Browser, Project Explorer, Properties Window, etc.... ( all listed under VIEW )

If there's something I'm missing on how to unhide sheets that someone might have made very hidden --- then please advise...

It appears there's nothing left though....
I can send you the file if you wish to look at it....

Upvote 0
no you're not missing anything - even if a sheet is veryhidden it will still show up in the project pane

kevin

Upvote 0
Hi Chris et al,

I received the file by mail and I managed to open it in 2002 where following was reported:

Lost Visual Basic Project.
Lost Active-X controls.

Which means that all VBA-code is lost.

All sheets were intact as well as all formulas.

I tried to open the file in StarCalc 6.0 but got an error stating that the filestructure is wrong.

However, the above strongly indicate that the file has becomed corrupt (by age or anything internal technical conflict) and NOT due to a hack from some user.

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
a workbook can just LOSE vba stuff????
I know they can get corrupt, but losing all code and controls????
that's scary...

Upvote 0
starl said:
a workbook can just LOSE vba stuff????
I know they can get corrupt, but losing all code and controls????
that's scary...
Actually, I have to stand up for MS in this one. XP recovery feature is very good, well, much better than before... it can open many damaged books from previous versions, but, unfrotunately, it won't be able to recover the code... so, it's not that the code was "magically" lost, the whole workbook was lost already, but XP managed to recover the "formula" part of it !

Upvote 0
I would think that if the file/workbook itself were corrupt; then it would not open or be operational at all...
This was not the case.... The file opens - but the sheets (8 sheets ) were all "gone"....
But you guys are the experts -- so, I really appreciate your assessment!

Only 1 sheet holds a lot of data; the others are relatively small 'reporting sheets'....

Any ideas on what causes a file to corrupt?
How to prevent it?
This file is a shared file - used off and on throughout the day by about 20 people.... They simply open it, plug in their status, save and close.... therefore, the activity does not include row deletes or any other major changes.... just simplistic cell changes.

Another problem I'm having ( which didnt used to happen ) is: Every time the file is opened now, it generates a temp copy and fills up the folder throughout the day - so I'm constantly having to clean those out....
Is this due to a protection setting I may have inadvertently "checked" on the server folder?

I need users to have the ability to change cells, and delete cell info but NOT be able to delete the entire file or folder.
I may just have too many protections "check-marked"...?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back