Parsing from a (multi-line) textbox into worksheet cells

GBagley

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a multi-line enabled textbox in a userform. I'm trying to parse each line of the textbox into a separate cell on the worksheet, but am having trouble getting VBA to distinguish where the line changes are in the text box. For example, if I enter this in the text box:

test
test
test

I want 6 cells, each containing one of those strings. I tried parsing by vbNewLine, Chr(10), Chr(13) but nothing seemed to work. Code snippet of what I tried is below. Was trying to loop through each character of the text string, and when it found a Chr(13) (the carriage return character) then it would increment j to move to the next cell down.

I used Chip Pearson's 'Cell View' tool which lists all the non-print characters in a cell, and it shows that the strings outputted by the textbox contain Chr(13) followed by Chr(10) (which is why I tried to increment i by + 2 when Chr(13) was found, since I don't need to re-print those two non-printing characters in the cell), but trying to Parse by those in VBA had no effect.

Code:
j = 0
i = 0
Do While i <= Len(Userform.ManualBox.Text)
    i = i + 1

If Mid(Userform.ManualBox.Text, i, 1) = Chr(13) Then
        j = j + 1
        i = i + 2
    End If

Sheets("Manual_Plot").Range("A1").offset(j, 0) = Sheets("Manual_Plot").Range("A1").offset(j, 0) & _
    Mid(Userform.ManualBox.Text, i, 1)

And ideas?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Maybe ...

Code:
    Dim avs As Variant
    avs = Split(Userform.ManualBox.Text, vbCrLf)
    Worksheets("Manual_Plot").Range("A1").Resize(UBound(avd) + 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(avs)

Upvote 0
Oops:
Code:
Worksheets("Manual_Plot").Range("A1").Resize(UBound([COLOR=red]avs[/COLOR]) + 1).Value = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(avs)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back