Document not saved

Iridium

Something that cropped up at work today and we got around it by copying the data into a new template but the problem was a "Document not saved" error - generally this is due to network problems (AFAIK) but when saving to a local disk the error persisted.

Searched the MS KB briefly but couldn't find the source of the problem.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hey Iridium,

It happens from time to time and I chalk up the "Boss, my PC just ate my work..." to MS Gremlins.

From MS
"Document not saved," or "Document not completely saved" The process was interrupted while creating the temporary file because you pressed ESC, (you know you did - don't blame us!) there was some hardware or software failure (yup...yours!), or there was another media problem (that was probably LINUX related...). The original file is still intact and ,unless your computer or workstation failed, the version of the file containing your current changes is still open in memory (Where in memory we can't tell you...). Save the file to an alternate drive. If your computer or workstation did fail, you can use the original file. (Note that any changes made in the last revision will be lost.)
Nice of them to run Grammar Check on their own stuff... :devilish:

See if your IS Department "can't" help you. (Ours is "affectionately" called "US - Useless Services").

Smitty

Enjoy the rest of your day @ work. I'm watching football!

Upvote 0
Hi Iridium, can you Save As? See this MSKB article.

Worse case you may have to delete embedded objects, pivot tables and modules before it will allow you to save. :(

hth

Upvote 0
Smitty said:
See if your IS Department "can't" help you. (Ours is "affectionately" called "US - Useless Services").

:LOL:

Cheers Smitty - our IT dept is known as ISS (in theory information services and support) however I'm sure I could create more appropriate names from the acronym!

Hope your team wins in the footy (I assume you mean what we call American Football?)

Upvote 0
parry said:
Hi Iridium, can you Save As? See this MSKB article.

Worse case you may have to delete embedded objects, pivot tables and modules before it will allow you to save. :(

hth

We got round the problem in the end as I said but I was wondering what might have caused the problem in the first place. Save as resulted in the same error as a save

Cheers anyway

Edit: that's one of the links I found when I searched earlier but thanx for looking anyway

Upvote 0
No worries. I know Excel saves a cache of the file on your drive (presumably a network drive for you) while your working on it. If you have network issues then perhaps when it tries to save it cant establish the connection between the cache and the file hence wont allow you to save. Thats what it appears in reading between the lines of the article. You may want to get the coneheads to update the reg for you as described to prevent future mishaps :)

Upvote 0
Thanx Parry.

Just wondering if the network connection dropped out momentarily. Perhaps that caused the problem? The file is created from a template located on the network. Ah well - it's sorted now (or rather worked around)

Ooh - a quick gloat! England are world Champions! (in case you missed it!)

:wink:

Upvote 0
Glad you got it saved!

No clue as to why it would happen other than what Parry suggested. I have gotten the problem before when saving with a picture inserted that was copied from our network. But that had to do with Mac created images and the resource FRK. (And that hasn't happened in a long time).

I also have the problem sometimes when I get a macro to "brain-fart", i.e. it did what I told it to do, not what I wanted it to do.

As for football, yup, it's American. Dallas Cowboys vs. WGAS?

For some strange reason, we can only get Rugby Union @ about 3:00 A.M. PMO!

Smitty

EDIT: I did hear that England won. Is that good? :devilish:

Thank goodness we're only a few month away from the beginning of Lacrosse season!

Upvote 0
Iridium said:
Thanx Parry.

Just wondering if the network connection dropped out momentarily. Perhaps that caused the problem? The file is created from a template located on the network. Ah well - it's sorted now (or rather worked around)

Ooh - a quick gloat! England are world Champions! (in case you missed it!)

:wink:

We dont watch rugby in New Zealand anymore :( Congrats to England - certainly the form team over the last couple of years and deserved the spoils. :p

Upvote 0
parry said:
We dont watch rugby in New Zealand anymore

That's like saying the Pope is Jewish (for a Kiwi!?)! Anyway - sorry for the cheap jibe - for a change I can gloat when I meet any Aussies! They can't take the flak (or the one's I've met anyway)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back