How to delete comment pictures, not just the comments?

BenRichards

Hello. When I use pictures in comments (mouse cursor over cell will pop up a picture), then remove such a comment, the file size tells me that the image itself is still stored in the excel-file. I never did paste these pictures into excel, I added them like in this link: Excel - How to add an image to a cell How to delete such pictures? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hello. When I use pictures in comments (mouse cursor over cell will pop up a picture), then remove such a comment, the file size tells me that the image itself is still stored in the excel-file. I never did paste these pictures into excel, I added them like in this link: Excel - How to add an image to a cell How to delete such pictures? Thanks!

Format comment Click on the edge of the comment and select NO FILL - this will remove the picture/image.

Upvote 0
madforgolf, I've tried this. I just tried it again. 1.5M Excel file became a 5M file after adding a comment with a 3.5M picture and saving. Then, when I took the new file, selected no fill, the picture disappeared from sight, but after saving the file size remains at 5M.

Upvote 0
Which version of Excel? In 2010, removing the comment does reduce the file size for me (clearing the picture fill does not).

Upvote 0
Version 2013. When I do a trial run opening a blank sheet, everything works as it should, that removing will reduce the filesize. But the worksheet I'm working on, a professional one which already has a ton of information, does not decrease in size. It must be something in that specific worksheet then that is causing this malfunction... has anyone experience of such a situation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What file format is it? .xls or .xlsx/.xlsm/.xlsb?
Have you tried simply assigning a very small picture to it first, then deleting that?

Upvote 0
It's .xls. I just tried different pictures (in case it was caused by a specific pic), large, small, no difference. The file increases, removing the comment does not reduce it.

Edit. And if I assing a picture in the normal way, one that is shown all the time, not just in a comment, then the file works as it should. A picture increases the size, while deleting it will decrease the size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you assign a very small picture to the comment, replacing the large one, does the file size change?

Upvote 0
I tried it, doesn't work. The first picture increases the filesize. The replacing picture increases it more by its own size. Good idea, though. That could have very well worked...

Upvote 0
What if you use File-Check for Issues-Inspect document, and then remove comments? (do this on a copy of the file in case you need to recreate the comment information)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back