Zone
(Return)
U04
(Return)
U01
U10

<tbody>
</tbody>

Having little success trying to get the proper return data.

Using the input of the building and room number, I am trying to get the corresponding zones as a return. There are sometimes multiple returns, so I also need those displayed a well.

I have been able to get a single return using his formula -

=INDEX(A2:C6,MATCH(E1&F1,A2:A6&B2:B6,0),3)

But I have been unsuccessful at getting multiple returns.

Tanks in advance or the assistance.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Assuming E1 = building number and F1 = room number...

Code:
{=INDEX(C2:C6,MATCH(F1,IF(A2:A6=E1,B2:B6),0))}

(also make sure you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER as this is an array formula)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Svendiamond thanks for the formula- i've been searching high and low for an example like this. Thanks

Upvote 0
Svendiamond, I plugged it in and I get value not valid error. I went full scale though (1900 rows) so I'll scale it down and see if I can find the error.

Upvote 0
Svendiamond, I got it to work, however, I had to insert a ,3 after the 0

{=INDEX(I6:K14,MATCH(N6,IF(I6:I14=M6,J6:J14),0),3)}

But it doesn't solve the issue of multiple zones.

Some buildings have multiple zones, so when I enter the building number and room number, I need a return on the zones available.
I will be using that returned data to return VLAN numbers and IP ranges...

Upvote 0
Well... I don't know why you're INDEXing three columns when you only want what's in column K... right? I thought you just wanted to return the Zone that matches both the Building and Room?

Upvote 0
Svendiamond thanks for the formula- i've been searching high and low for an example like this. Thanks

Yeah no problem. I remember when I learned this... I just Googled it. I mean if you think about it it makes a lot of sense:

FIND the C2:C6 that matches F1 in B2:B6 -- as long as A2:A6 equals E1

Upvote 0
Well... I don't know why you're INDEXing three columns when you only want what's in column K... right? I thought you just wanted to return the Zone that matches both the Building and Room?

BLDGROOMZONEBLDG(input)Room(input)
204U02
U01Zone(Return)
22188U04(Return)
10213U01
43110U10

<tbody>
</tbody>

Correct. i need the zone (column K), but I need all the zones that building is in. I already a formula to get a single return, which is -

{=INDEX(I6:K14,MATCH(M6&N6,I6:I14&J6:J14,0),3)}

Which is basically the same as what you provided, however, With your formula, I get an invalid cell reference area unless I put the ,3 to return the data in the third column.

If you look at the example above, Building 10, RM 204 falls into two zones. U01 and U02. When I put the search criteria in, I want it to return both zones so I can later have
it reference VLANS and IP ranges.

It's hard to make the explanation clear in plain text...

Upvote 0
See if this gives you what you want.
If you set up the cell references properly you can just copy the formula in F3 down (change cell references to match your data).
This is an array formula and must be entered with
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1BLDGROOMZONEBLDG10Room204
210204U02
310204U01ZoneU02
422188U04U01
510213U01
643110U10
CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

Upvote 0
***Just saw AhoyNC's answer... it might be easier and work better for you!

No no... I understand. I was thinking you might say that. This will be a bit more complicated.

Name your table something. So... I6:K14 right? Name that table "TABLE" -- then we have M6 and N6 as the data you want to look up right? So M6 is the BLDG # and N6 is the ROOM # that you're going to look up.

I don't know how your sheet looks but I started my return table in M11. M11 through M15 say "ZONES" and N11 through N15 have the following formula filled down. You can go down as far as you want, based on how many different results you think you may end up with:

=IFERROR(INDEX(TABLE, SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS($M$6, $I$7:$I$14, $N$6, $J$7:$J$14), ROW(TABLE)-MIN(ROW(TABLE))+1), ROW(C1)), COLUMN(C1)),"")

(array formula... press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER)

Notice the $I$7:$I:$11 reference... yes, ignore the headers in your table when referencing. This should work for you!

---------------------------------

Check out Match two criteria and return multiple rows in excel | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource for more information on how this array formula works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back