Count Consecutive Repeated Values including weekends

johnbird1988

Board Regular
Hello,

I would like some help with a Employee absence tracker I have created.

I would like to started recording the number of occurring sick absence in a year. My file looks like below.

The "S"represents a sickness, and for John the number of occurring sick absences are 2 because the 10 and 11 day is a weekend. For Dave the occurring sick absence is 3.

Any help would be amazing.

Thank you,

John

Date05/01/201506/01/2015007/01/201508/01/201509/01/201510/01/201511/01/201512/01/201513/01/201514/01/201515/01/201516/01/201517/01/201518/01/2015
Name
JohnSSSS
DaveSSSS

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Some observations:

1) Your topic title says "including weekends" while your description implies excluding weekends as you word it: "because the 10 and 11 day is a weekend".
2) Why is John 2 and not 3? (John has no S in 10-Jan-2015 and in 11-Jan-2015?

Upvote 0
Hello Aladin,

I have this formula to work out the number of instances of "S" appearing within a range. The below formula work brilliantly, however, I cannot get it to incorporate Bank Holidays. I have all the bank holidays listed in a named range called "Holidays".

John is 2 because the 10 and 11 is a weekend and he is still sick on the Monday. I would like to count this as a continues sickness. The formula above does this however I need it to include bank holidays from a named range called holidays. Do you think you could help, I have been trying and trying all day.

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($J10:$NK10,{"S"},0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($J$9:$NK$9,{"Sat","Sun"},0)),$J$6:$NK$6,"#"),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($J10:$NK10,{"S"},0)),IF($J$9:$NK$9="Fri",$J$6:$NK$6+1,IF($J$9:$NK$9="Mon",$J$6:$NK$6-1))),0)),COLUMN($J10:$NK10)),IF(ISNA(MATCH($J10:$NK10,{"S"},0))*ISNA(MATCH($J$9:$NK$9,{"Sat","Sun"},0)),COLUMN($J10:$NK10))),1))}

Thank you for your help

John

Upvote 0
Hello Aladin,

I have this formula to work out the number of instances of "S" appearing within a range. The below formula work brilliantly, however, I cannot get it to incorporate Bank Holidays. I have all the bank holidays listed in a named range called "Holidays".

John is 2 because the 10 and 11 is a weekend and he is still sick on the Monday. I would like to count this as a continues sickness. The formula above does this however I need it to include bank holidays from a named range called holidays. Do you think you could help, I have been trying and trying all day.

{=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($J10:$NK10,{"S"},0))+ISNUMBER(MATCH(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($J$9:$NK$9,{"Sat","Sun"},0)),$J$6:$NK$6,"#"),IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH($J10:$NK10,{"S"},0)),IF($J$9:$NK$9="Fri",$J$6:$NK$6+1,IF($J$9:$NK$9="Mon",$J$6:$NK$6-1))),0)),COLUMN($J10:$NK10)),IF(ISNA(MATCH($J10:$NK10,{"S"},0))*ISNA(MATCH($J$9:$NK$9,{"Sat","Sun"},0)),COLUMN($J10:$NK10))),1))}

Thank you for your help

John

In what follows, I'm going disregard the formula you posted although I recognize much of it.

I'll assume the sample you posted with which I worked. I consider the sample to be in A1:O4 of Sheet1, where A3:A4 houses names, B1:O1 dates, and B3:O4 "S" markings in indication of sick absences.

1) including weekends when enclosed between S markings...

Define first wdates using Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:
Rich (BB code):

=SMALL(IF(WEEKDAY(Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1,2) < 6,Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1),
  ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&SUM(IF(WEEKDAY(Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1) < 6,1)))))

P3 (or somewhere else more convenient), control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(
   IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(wdates,IF(B3:O3="S",$B$1:$O$1),0)),wdates),
   IF(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(wdates,IF(B3:O3="S",$B$1:$O$1),0)),
    wdates)),1))

2) including weekends and bank holidays when enclosed between S markings, we just need to extend the definition of wdates...
Rich (BB code):

=SMALL(IF(WEEKDAY(Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1,2) < 6,
  IF(ISNA(MATCH(Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1,Holidays,0)),
   Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1)),
  ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&SUM(IF(WEEKDAY(Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1) < 6,
  IF(ISNA(MATCH(Sheet1!$B$1:$O$1,Holidays,0)),1))))))

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin,

Thank you for the above. I have just tested it in my actual file and it is only partly working. I am using the named range and formula below:

wdates
Code:
=SMALL(IF(WEEKDAY('Input Sheet'!$J$6:$NK$6,2)<6,IF(ISNA(MATCH('Input Sheet'!$J$6:$NK$6,Holiday,0)),'Input Sheet'!$J$6:$NK$6)),ROW(INDIRECT("6:"&SUM(IF(WEEKDAY('Input Sheet'!$J$6:$NK$6)<6,IF(ISNA(MATCH('Input Sheet'!$J$6:$NK$6,Holiday,0)),1))))))
#

Cell Formula
Code:
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(wdates,IF($J10:$NK10="S",$J$6:$NK$6),0)),wdates),IF(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(wdates,IF($J10:$NK10="S",$J$6:$NK$6),0)),wdates)),1))

As you can see I have extended the range and also the dates are in row 6 and row 10 is the first employee.

For some reason this only starts to calculate from column R and not J and I don't know why. If I enter 'S' from column R onward it records as it should be but noting from columns J to Q.

Thank you for all your help so far.

John

Upvote 0
Hello Aladin,

Just one more thing related to this post.

If I now only want to just count the number of times "S" appeared in a weekday (again excluding weekends and holidays), how can I achieve this, unlike the above where I want to count occurring "S" now I just want to count the number of "S".

I have tried this formula but it not work correctly.

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY($J6:$NK6,2)<6)*($J10:$NK10="S")*($J6:$NK6<>Holiday))[/COLOR]

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amriddin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back