Conditional formula argument limitation or other issue?

drew.j.harrison

Board Regular
Ran into an odd problem where I have 2 conditional formats. The first one greys out a product row for a specific set of location columns if the volume for that product in that location is 0. Note that the code is a bit convoluted as I am using dynamic references to define the cell to look for the volume in.

Code:
=OFFSET($Y6,0,ROUNDDOWN(((COLUMN(Y6)-COLUMN($Y6))/COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing)),0)*COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing))=0

This code works just fine.

I then tried to add an additional condition that makes the cells red if the greyed out cell is not blank but it doesn't seem to work.

Code:
=AND(COUNTBLANK(Y6)=0,OFFSET($Y6,0,ROUNDDOWN(((COLUMN(Y6)-COLUMN($Y6))/COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing)),0)*COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing))=0)

I've used the exact same strategy else where with no problems. Any idea what is going on here? I suspect there is a limit on the references or arguments allowed to define a conditional format that I crossed over.

Below is an example of similar formulas working just fine. Appears to have just as many arguments/references as well if not more.

Code:
=INDEX(OFFSET(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing_All,$A6,0),1,(MATCH(OFFSET($BJ$4,0,ROUNDDOWN((COLUMN()-COLUMN($BJ$4))/COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Quoting),0)*COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Quoting)),OFFSET(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing_All,-1,0),0)))=0

Code:
=AND(COUNTBLANK(BJ6)=0,INDEX(OFFSET(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing_All,$A6,0),1,(MATCH(OFFSET($BJ$4,0,ROUNDDOWN((COLUMN()-COLUMN($BJ$4))/COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Quoting),0)*COLUMNS(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Quoting)),OFFSET(Header_BOM_Manufacturing_Location_Purchasing_All,-1,0),0)))=0)

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I suspect you are running in to a problem with COLUMN function.

COLUMN function returns an "array" even when it's only a single value, e.g. {1} rather than 1 and in some contexts some functions may not handle that as required. The normal solution is to enclose the COLUMN functions inside another function like SUM or MAX which will convert the array to a single value, e.g.

=AND(COUNTBLANK(Y6)=0,OFFSET($Y6,0,ROUNDDOWN((SUM(COLUMN(Y6)-COLUMN($Y6))/COLUMNS(D2:D2)),0)*COLUMNS(D2:D2))=0)

Upvote 0
I suspect you are running in to a problem with COLUMN function.

COLUMN function returns an "array" even when it's only a single value, e.g. {1} rather than 1 and in some contexts some functions may not handle that as required. The normal solution is to enclose the COLUMN functions inside another function like SUM or MAX which will convert the array to a single value, e.g.

=AND(COUNTBLANK(Y6)=0,OFFSET($Y6,0,ROUNDDOWN((SUM(COLUMN(Y6)-COLUMN($Y6))/COLUMNS(D2:D2)),0)*COLUMNS(D2:D2))=0)

Worked like a charm. Would have never figured that out on my own. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anniewonder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back