vba Open Office question

Rockerdo

Board Regular
I have some folks that may need to open an excel macro enabled spreadsheet (2010) in Open Office.

I can convert the macro from 2010 excel to open office, I believe.

Do I need to have two versions of the file? I had some people try to use the 2010 excel file in open office and were getting errors or when they sent it back to me the functionality was totally gone.

Want to make this as painless as possible for those that need to use this file. The company is not willing to give all the users full version of 2010 excel which would make this so much easier!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Many macros in Excel can be run in Ooo though. From that page:
OpenOffice.org 3 Calc can execute many Excel macros, but (for security reasons) you must manually enable this feature

Upvote 0
So I converted the macro to what will work in open office. I'll have them retest and see what happens.

Will the Converted code work in regular excel too or should I save it twice and have two versions?

Upvote 0
I have very little experience with Open Office, so I can't speak directly to it. However, I've had other experiences with cross-assemblers/cross-interpreters, and even though they say that they can handle different languages, there are often subtle errors that are hard to find. My personal recommendation would be to save two versions. Granted, not the best situation because you now have two sources to maintain, but both versions are probably more trustworthy.

Upvote 0
Depending on what the two environments provide, you may be able to have a single macro branch, as required, depending on whether the macro is being run in Excel or in Calc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back