unique count

kin1

i'm trying unique count from a column of data. each unique record will count as one. the image i pasted shows 2 of everything. does anyone know if i cant just count the same value as one? the same value can be listed more than 2 times, sometimes it can be as much as 20.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Your image paste went... badly :)

ha,

ok.. ill try it here. i want to only count unique numbers that repeat. the list below should generate a total count of 3. can this be done in powerpivot?

thanks

numbers
count
abc
abc
total

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
i think when i tried that it gave me the total unique count, so instead of the 0 and 1's all the rows showed like 5011 which were the total unique value. the data is from an imported excel file, not sure how i can get the table?

Upvote 0
Sounds like you put it in a calculated column. Put it in a measure (calculated field).

Upvote 0
hi scott, because there are multiple dates that can be associated to the job number, the numbers count shows up in multiple months. is there a way fix this problem? the grand total looks right but the the monthly sub total are incorrect. please let me know if there's a way around this, thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm not quite understanding your scenario, can you paste in some sample data (or a link to your workbook on google drive or similar)?

Upvote 0
here's an example. ill use the / as a separate cell.

job# / Date
bmpk/ 08/01/2014
bmpk/ 09/15/2014
bmpk / 11/15/2014

if i use the distintcount([job#]) the grand total will be 1.

but on the monthly subtotal if i group the dates by month. it will show 1 in august, September and in November. which would be wrong if i want to get the correct month total, it should only appear as 1 count in august. can that be done?

thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back