Cell shading failure in EXCEL [all versions]

Martin Quinn

I am running different versions of EXCEL on a PC running Vista. For the past two months I have been using another PC and only returned to use this one this week. I have discovered that EXCEL controlled VBA files no longer displayed cell shading instructions like

Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(200, 150)).Interior.ColorIndex = 56

The cell background remains white in all cases with Xp, 2003 and 2007! This problem occurs also with a new file. Any attempt to use the standard formatting instructions on the Format menu or toolbar to shade cells also fails.

However, if I check that the instruction has been executed by checking the selected cells using the FORMAT/cells/patterns sequence I find that the top right hand color of the standard palette [colorindex 56] indeed is highlighted. All the other functionality of the EXCEL program performs normally, but I need the shading to hide data from casual inspection. The worksheets are unprotected in order to allow the changes to occur.

I have un-installed and re-installed the EXCEL programs several times with no success.

If I attempt to run the EXCEL VBA controlled files on any other PC, the expected shading occurs as normal.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi Martin

I'm not sure this is going to help you but worth a shot: Within xl2003 with one of these files open on your computer, go Tools>Options>Color tab and hit the Reset button. This should reset the colour palette to its default. Then try running your code.

Upvote 0
I have eventually discovered why I had the universal failure that color shading was not displayed in all my versions of EXCEL. The problem was caused because I had selected 'High Contrast White' from the 'Appearance' options in Vista. Once I reset to 'Windows Basic Vista' as the appearance option, all my versions of EXCEL began to perform as normal and cell shading became possible again. The solution can be checked by changing the appearance with an EXCEL file open. With 'Windows Basic Vista' selected cell color shading is possible. Change to 'High Contrast White' and the cell shading fades into the enhanced white background!

Martin Quinn

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back