Date and Time Picker Control

tlee

Board Regular
I recently reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled my software. Now I don't seem to have the Date and Time Picker Control (among others) that I used to.

I did a thourough install of Microsoft Office 2000 Professional, and switched from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Professional. Isn't that control standard in such an installation? If its not, where can I get it?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi.
Before we go into the procedure to add a component, see if you even have it in your system. Do a file search in your WINNT or Windows directory for "mscomct2.ocx". It should be in one of your sys directories.
Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2
Tom

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

Under "C:\WINNT\System32" I have a file called "MSCOMCTL.OCX", but that's as close as I come to what you've listed.

Upvote 0
You do not have the date picker and a handful of other controls installed. Search Microsoft's website to see if you can download Controls 2. I have so much "stuff" on my computer that I don't know which application the control package came with. I was under the impression that these controls were standard with any Windows operating system from Win98 or newer. So I thought.

Tom

Upvote 0
Well, I've spent a couple hours now going through Microsoft's web site, and while I find a lot of stuff written about mscomct2.ocx, nowhere do I see where I can download it.

I did find it on my computer at my office though. Is this the type of file that I can just grab from one computer and put on another? Also, interestingly enough, I noticed that on my computer in the office that while the Date and Time Picker is in the list of available controls, when I try to insert it into an Excel sheet I get a message something like, "Unable to insert object."

Any further advice?

Upvote 0
Okay. I finally got it working.

I downloaded the "mscont2.ocx" file from www.magente.com/m/CServ/cp.asp, and installed it in my "system32" directory. All seems to be working now.

But I have two follow-up questions...

First, why is it that the computer in my office shows that it has the "mscont2.ocx" file, and that it's registered, but when I try to insert the Date and Time Picker it tells me it can't insert the object (or something like that)?

Second, if I give this Excel file to someone else, am I right to assume that they will need the "mscont2.ocx" file on their computer in order to have the Date and Time Picker functional for them?

As always, I appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
With much searching I was unable to determine the exact licensing of Common Controls 2 or exactly which software packages and operating system versions contain it.

What I did find out.

Office 2000 Premium does not come with this package. Maybe a service pack does?

The licence for VB is for Extended Use which means the enduser must need the control(s) for a disributed application in order for me or some other to redistribute them. That means that I or some other registered developer or enduser cannot simply give you the control unless you are using an application which needs it, is legally purchased, or has been developed for you with the control being intrinsic in the app.

The question about your problems at work. Chances are, there are one or more applications which use one or more controls from Common Controls 2 but Excel is not a valid licenced application. Only the applications which use the controls and thier associative setup programs which installed them have a license.

Your other question.
Yes, your end users will need the control installed on their system. I do not have a lot of confidence in the above but it was the best I could come up seeing that it is not an issue that I have to deal with because I have development software.

Good luck.

Tom

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your help and insights. I really appreciate it. I'm new to all this (as I'm sure is evident by now) and learned quite a bit on this go-around. I also have a much better understanding of the requirements and responsibilities as I develop these sort of tools.

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
I'm having this problem on a new computer (yes, I knew this was going to happen.... but the old computer was huffing it's dying breaths...)

I downloaded the zip above, and copied the file MSCOMCT2.OCX to the:

C:\Windows\System32

...directory. When I use VBA Editor and go to Tools -> References I then used the Browse button to find the file and Open it. Now that References list shows Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) as checked off.

However, when I go to Additional Controls, the date time picker still does not show up.

When I transfered the file to \System32 all I did was copy the file and then paste it into the directory. Is there something else I have to do? Am I missing a step here?

Thanks for reading,
Jim

Upvote 0
I solved this on my own for Vista 64 Bit version.

1.) Download the file MSCOMCT2.OCX from any of a variety of sources (just Google it).

2.) Copy the file named above into C:\Windows\SysWOW64
Many instructions say to put it in System32 but that is not the one to use if you are using 64 Bit Vista. Use the one above.

3.) Click Windows+R to get the run dialogue box

4.) type: regsvr32 MSCOMCT2.OCX
then hit return.

You will get a message it was successfully installed.

You then need to go to Excel -> Tools -> References and check the box for:

Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 6.0

THEN... save your project. Exit the VBA Editor. Close the workbook. Re-Open the workbook and you will now have the date picker available as an optional control.

However.... it is NOT the same date picker that you included in your project when you were working on your 32 Bit machine. This meanst that although it is available, you need to go through your project, add it again and make sure it has the same name it did before.

Aren't you glad you became a coder?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back