printing a certain range

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I work with a template where I want to print a certain area of one of the tabs. Is there a way I can set this area so I dont have to keep selecting it each time? Its not the whole page, just certain parts.

Also I believe we can name certain ranges, such as A5-15 cane be named Taxes or whatever. Is there a way to just print one of these named ranges?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
There are a couple of different ways to do it.

You select your range(s), the goto Page Setup-->Set Print Area. Or use a named range (Formulas-->Define Name). Although both of those will likely print different sections on different pages.

You can also create a custom view, in which you hide all of the elements you don't want to print and then name that. When you want to print the custom view, you just switch to it, print, then switch back. Note that this requires you to create a normal view to switch back to as well.

HTH,

Upvote 0
You can also create a custom view, in which you hide all of the elements you don't want to print and then name that. When you want to print the custom view, you just switch to it, print, then switch back. Note that this requires you to create a normal view to switch back to as well.

i didnt find the first part to be relevant but can you tell me more about the quoted part, how to do this? thanks!

Upvote 0
Check out 'Create, apply, or delete a custom view" in the helpfile. It gives better details than I can.

Upvote 0
I looked over it. This seemed quite relevant, thanks for this. Hasn't fully addressed it though. I'm hoping the solution can be within defining the custom view.

So far I've added a custom view. It seems to just take me back to the very top left of the spreadsheet. That is indeed the area I want to be printing but I want to add a few parameters. I want to print B2-R23, without the hidden columns showing up, on Letter sized paper. I also want to be able to preserve the current view settings, of pritning the whole page (not just the selection, which will always fit under the range given above) on Legal size paper. How does one do this? There doesnt seem to be a place for giving specific instructions in the view settings.

Upvote 0
You don't really give the Custom View specific instructions per se, as much as you set up the view exactly how you want it to print. When you add a view you'll see check box options for keeping print settings with the view as well.

Upvote 0
so i assume you mean if i want to print it in letter size i should first change from legal (the default) to letter, then create the view? how would i choose just the range that i want instead of the whole page? its not that i mind the extra data coming in per se, just that i want the existing text to look larger. if that can somehow be done i have what i need.

Upvote 0
Create the view, then set your print settings the way you want. As for setting the range, you can select the print range you want, then goto Page Layout-->Print Area-->Set Print Area.

Upvote 0
That seemed to do it! Thanks!

Only question now is, how does one tell which view they're in? You can click one of the Custom Views you've created and choose from there, but that name doesn't appear anywhere on the screen after selecting.

Is there no way to give someone props on this forum? The other one there's a Scales icon on people's posts to, I guess, increase their rep.

Upvote 0
Only question now is, how does one tell which view they're in? You can click one of the Custom Views you've created and choose from there, but that name doesn't appear anywhere on the screen after selecting.

You know, I've never had a need to check, but it doesn't appear that there's any indication of which view you're in other than when you select it. There is a Custom View object in VBA though, so you could probably use code to identify which view is active.

Is there no way to give someone props on this forum? The other one there's a Scales icon on people's posts to, I guess, increase their rep.

Nah, just say Thanks if someone helped you. :) We're not big on formality around here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back