Question for Aladin

planetpj

Aladin,
I was reading an article that you wrote called Last In Cell. I was interested in one of the formulas that you wrote. The formula was =MATCH(1.0E+30,A:A)for columns. You also noted that these formulas expect that there will not be a numeric value as big as 1.0E+30 amoung the numeric values of a column/row you're testing. I know that the biggest positive number in excel repetory is(9.99999999999999E+307). I am just curious where does the 1.0E come from and what actually does it mean!!!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
On 2002-08-21 07:16, planetpj wrote:
Aladin,
I was reading an article that you wrote called Last In Cell. I was interested in one of the formulas that you wrote. The formula was =MATCH(1.0E+30,A:A)for columns. You also noted that these formulas expect that there will not be a numeric value as big as 1.0E+30 amoung the numeric values of a column/row you're testing. I know that the biggest positive number in excel repetory is(9.99999999999999E+307). I am just curious where does the 1.0E come from and what actually does it mean!!!

Where did you read that?

If you put 9.99999999999999E+307 in some cell, you'll see that Excel displays it as

1.00E+308

It's often necessary to determine the location/position of the last cell in use in a reference, which can be a definite range (e.g., A2:A50 or G1:M1) or a whole column or row (e.g., B:B or 4:4).

If the reference is of numeric type, this big number is used in a MATCH expression to capture the location of the last cell in use.

Lets say that we have defined BigNum as referring to 9.99999999999999E+307 by using the option Insert|Name|Define.

=MATCH(BigNum,Reference) [1]

indeed computes the location of the last cell in use.

MATCH in [1] ignores empty cells (also text and "") interspersed throughout the reference, which is a nice property. COUNT and COUNTA cannot for example be used with references showing gaps. Moreover, COUNTA is a volatile function that we would want to avoid if we possibly can.

How does [1] work?

As is clear from [1], the match-type is 1, that is, TRUE. When omitted, Excel assumes the match-type to be 1.

MATCH with match-type set to 1 expects that the reference is sorted in ascending order. In [1] we deliberately tell the undelying algorithm to look in the right half of the reference. When it finishes looking (by cutting each half in two until there is nothing left to cut), the last cell is the one that the algorithm has examined: it immediately returns the location of that cell whose value is approximately matching the BigNum.

[1] enables us

( A.) to retieve the value in the last cell in use:

=INDEX(Reference,MATCH(BigNum,Reference))

( B.) to define names for references/ranges that frequently change, enclosed in OFFSET, e.g.,

=OFFSET(Data!$A$1,0,0,Admin!$B$3,Admin!$B$4) [2]

where Admin!B3 houses the formula

=MATCH(BigNum,Data!A:A) and Admin!B4 the formula:

=B3-(CELL("Row",Data!$A$1)-1)

[2] defines a possibly changing range in A:C and is superior to and far less risky than one which is often used:

=OFFSET(Data!$A$1,0,0,COUNT(Data!$A:$A)-1,3)

or

=OFFSET(Data!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Data!$A:$A)-1,3)

If the reference of interest is of "text type", [1] becomes:

=MATCH(REPT("z",255),Reference)

which will give the location of the last cell which does not contain a formula-generated "".

Hope this explains the mystery a bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back