Populate Word Template from Excel

1Roberta1

Board Regular
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have several Word templates (different types of letters) I currently fill in the blanks within the templates. (Name, Address, Employee Number, Bank Address etc)

I was wondering if there was a way of maybe storing all the data in excel (Name, Address, Employee Number, Bank Address etc) and then when it came to populating the blanks within the Word templates if I were to type something specific in the first blank section word would then automatically pull the rest of the data from the excel spreadsheet and fill in the rest of the blanks with word?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to achieve.

For anyone who has helped me in the past and or looked at my posts before, I should warn you that my word skills are just as bad as my excel skill :-s

Thanks in advance for your time reading my post and thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me out.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It is called mail merge.

You must embed a field in Word and then reference it to the Excel, Access, Text document.

But the inquiry starts at the destination document (Word)

Upvote 0
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have several Word templates (different types of letters) I currently fill in the blanks within the templates. (Name, Address, Employee Number, Bank Address etc)

I was wondering if there was a way of maybe storing all the data in excel (Name, Address, Employee Number, Bank Address etc) and then when it came to populating the blanks within the Word templates if I were to type something specific in the first blank section word would then automatically pull the rest of the data from the excel spreadsheet and fill in the rest of the blanks with word?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to achieve.

For anyone who has helped me in the past and or looked at my posts before, I should warn you that my word skills are just as bad as my excel skill :-s

Thanks in advance for your time reading my post and thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me out.

I've sent you a PM with an offer to help it souns like a simple mail merge summat I've been doing plenty off l8ly;)

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for getting back to me.

At least I can now search for what I am trying to do, I would never have figured that it was called mail merge:confused:

Anyway thanks again:)

Tiny - I have sent a reply directly to you, thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Tiny

As per usual my work have given me other higher priority tasks to complete. :mad:

The way things are going I won't be getting around to this until Friday evening.:(

I really don't mind getting other tasks from work etc (thats what I am paid to do) but it really does get frustrating sometimes as I always want to finish what I started before I move on.

Thanks again for your offer. When I am able to get back to that task I will post and let you know how I got on, and if I am struggling I will seek your advice again if it is still on offer.

Upvote 0
OHHH!!! how I know how that feels I've got to the point where my boss has let me work from home 2 reasons 1. to get the main job (vba userform) done & 2. recover from my sprained ankle.... It's been amazing how much I have achieved, especially with the help of this forum, so if I can put summat back in by helping you out it's only fair.

Upvote 0
Hi Tiny and Dan

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got around to completing the mail merge. What a fantastic tool it is.:cool:
Tiny you were correct in saying that the help facility with word re mail merge is very useful.

I have successfully completed the task.

Thanks again:)

Upvote 0
Hi Tiny and Dan

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got around to completing the mail merge. What a fantastic tool it is.:cool:
Tiny you were correct in saying that the help facility with word re mail merge is very useful.

I have successfully completed the task.

Thanks again:)

NICE!!! well done thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back