Update remote references without opening the second sheet

goofy78270

Is it possible to update values within a second workbook without opening that workbook?

Also, is it possible to use INDIRECT to reference another workbook?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
1) Yes, in edit --> links --> update values

2) Not with INDIRECT, but the INDIRECT.EXT function that's part of the morefunc.dll add-in works like INDIRECT but allows the referencing of closed workbooks.

Upvote 0
I am sorry, let me be a little clearer.

I do a comparison of current rates vs yesterday rates in workbook a.
When woorkbook a is updated, I would like workbooks b,c, and to pull in the new values of workbook a without having to open them. Is this possible through a macro or something to force the values to update without having to open the workbook?

Upvote 0
When you open b or c, you should be asked whether you want to update links. This is the same as going to edit --> links --> update values.

If you're sick of the prompt (or not getting the prompt), look at the options in edit --> links --> Startup prompt.

Upvote 0
I understand this, but I do not want to have to open books b, c, or d. I just want to make an update to book a and have book b, c, and d update themselves.

Upvote 0
Yes and no. There is no (easy) way to do a reverse link trace, where you could click on a button like "update the links in the files that reference this file". You'd basically need to write a macro to cycle through your dependent files and update them (by opening them and updating the values).

Then again, is there an order dependency? e.g. a's updates flow into b, b needs to recalculate with the new values from a before it flows into c, etc.?

If not, and b, c, and d are independent from each other (but dependent on a) why would it matter if b updates when a changes vs. when b is opened?

Upvote 0
Yes, goofy. Workbooks can be updated without opening them.

Critically, I'm assuming the data is in tables - set up like database tables. For an example, I'll assume the data table has a defined name, but this is not essential. A worksheet name is fine too. Example uses late binding.

Code:
dim objRecordset as object
set objRecordset = createobject("ADODB.Recordset")
objRecordset.open "UPDATE mytable SET cost = 100 WHERE productcode = 'abc'", _
  "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=C:\subdirectory\file.xls;Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0"""
set objRecordset = nothing
Or depending in what you are doing, instead of the SQL UPDATE you might use SQL INSERT.

HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0
So will I need to step through every value that is updated?
Instead of using the update line, is it possible to set a range within a worksheet?

Upvote 0
Looping through every record will work. Set up correctly , it is very quick. I now realise my example is not the best set up for multiple updates. Better to open a connection and then loop through all the updates. So,
Code:
dim objConnection as object
set objConnection = createobject("ADODB.Connection")
with objConnection
  .open strConnectionAsAbove

'now loop through doing the updates
     .execute "UPDATE whatever"

.close
end with
set objConnection = nothing

You can insert a whole range, use INSERT instead of UPDATE. Note this is not an update, but an insert. Depends on what you want to do.

I'll have a google for some links & post again soon.

regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
PS

Or instead of the ADODB.Connection you could use ADODB.Command
Nearly the same as I posted for the connection object

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back