Update remote references without opening the second sheet

goofy78270

Is it possible to update values within a second workbook without opening that workbook?

Also, is it possible to use INDIRECT to reference another workbook?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
With this method, if I update tab 1 within workbook b, will the formulas on tab 2 and 3 update as well with the workbook being closed?

Upvote 0
No. (Though in normal circumstances they would update when the file opens. That is, when calculation is automatic.)

If there is something you want to do, better to ask about that. These detailed questions might be not revealing a 'bigger picture' answer/approach that would be superior.

Upvote 0
Here is what I do.

Every Day, I download an investor ratesheet and archive it - not very hard and just for reference purposes.
I compare the ratesheet of today vs yesterday or Friday if it is Monday by saving the today's ratesheet as today and moving the previous today's ratesheet to yesterday.

From this comparison, created within a comparison tab, I determine the change in rates, by the differences, and track changes that need to be addressed from a programming standpoint within a comparison summary tab of the workbook.

I then create customer pricing after adding in our various cost. This portion is done within a seperate workbook due to the amount of calculations.

I would like the customer pricing woorkbook to simply update itself when changes to the comparison workbook are done. Currently we have to open each customer pricing workbook when on a daily basis which takes about a half hour in total to complete, given there are no errors. This is the process I would like to cut out or at least minimize in time.

NOTE: The reason for the comparison book vs the product books is to seperate the products out by type rather than all products in one workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back