SQL syntax - defining the format of a field

lovallee

Board Regular
Hello,

I use ADOBD.Connexion / Microsoft Jet SQL to connect to Excel tables and create a pivot cache.

I need to understand the required SQL syntax to define a field format.

Exemple:

SELECT Table1.Field1 FROM Table1

And I need Table1.Field1 to be treated as text

How can I set the format of a field in my SQL statement?

Thanks!
Louis

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
What happens when you use...

SELECT Table1.Field1 & '' FROM Table1

Note: Using 2 single quotes to represent a null string; thus, coercing the numeric value into text.

Upvote 0
Thanks Mark,

I will give it a try.

In the mean time I found on the Microsoft web site that when ADOBD connect to Excel, it scans the first 8 rows to detect the field type (text, num, date or mixed). I arranged my data to ensure ADOBD detect the correct data type for each field.

Also very useful is the addition of "IMEX=1" in the ConnectionString

Code:
 .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\" & ActiveWorkbook.Name & ";" & _
"Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;IMEX=1;"""

The IMEX=1 is necessary to allow mixed data type fields to return both text and numeric data as text.

Louis

Upvote 0
oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=" & strFilePath & ";" & "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1;FMT=Delimited"""

I am having a problem with mixed data types in a textfile. I tried the IMEX=1 thing(as you can see), but it still dropped non-numeric values in the first column.

The first column has customer ID values. Here is an example:
207-589-6622
207-589-6323

On my spreadsheet where the information goes, only numeric information appears.

Upvote 0
AC3100

When connecting to an Excel table, ADOBD auto-detect the field type by looking at the first 8 values in that field. Ensure that in the first 8 values of that field, you have at least 1 numeric value and 1 text value. ADOBD should then assume it is a "mixed" type field and keep all values.

Please try and let us know.

Upvote 0
The way that the textfile is produced cannot be changed. In this case there are at least 8 that are all numeric in the first field. Thereffore it is omitting any non-numeric data. I find it interesting that it only goes to 8 rows.

I think I am going to have to read the text in line by line and use logic to find commas, enter the data and advance 1 column and repeat. I am not sure how much longer it will take.

I will search for importing text into excel that way unless there are any better ideas

Upvote 0
What happens when you use...

SELECT Table1.Field1 & '' FROM Table1

Note: Using 2 single quotes to represent a null string; thus, coercing the numeric value into text.

Set oFSObj = CreateObject("SCRIPTING.FILESYSTEMOBJECT")
strFilePath = oFSObj.GetFile(strFullPath).ParentFolder.path
strFilename = oFSObj.GetFile(strFullPath).Name

Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.CONNECTION")
oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=" & strFilePath & ";" & "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=YES;IMEX=1;FMT=Delimited"""

Set oRS = CreateObject("ADODB.RECORDSET")

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM " & strFilename '& "
oRS.Open strSQL, oConn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

While Not oRS.EOF
Sheets(3).Range("A1").CopyFromRecordset oRS, 65536
Wend

oRS.Close
oConn.Close

*****Is there anything I can do to change my strSQL statement so that it will coerce the numeric values into string values in the first column or every column for that matter.*****

The text file has 37 columns. The first column is the on that is dropping the text data but keeps the numeric. If I can convert the Numeric data to text then I should be able to capture everything.

Please help!

Upvote 0
*****Is there anything I can do to change my strSQL statement so that it will coerce the numeric values into string values in the first column or every column for that matter.*****

No, a SELECT statement cannot change the data type. Fields data type are defined by ADOBD before the SQL statement is run.

In your situation, I would rather manipulate the Excel file before the connexion is open.

2 options (hopefully one of them will work):

1st option) Select your mixed type field, change the format of the column to"text", then select the column again, go in menu Data>Text to column, follow the wizard steps and choose paste as "Text".

2nd option) Add the single quote ' character as the first character in each cell of your mixed type field. When the content of a cell starts with ', Excel marks the cell content as "Text".

Let us know if it worked this time.

Upvote 0
To change a numeric value into a text value consider using...

SELECT Trim(Str(A.Number))
FROM List A

Upvote 0
To change a numeric value into a text value consider using...

SELECT Trim(Str(A.Number))
FROM List A

Mark,

SQL does not accept Excel's functions.
SQL (called within VBA) accepts VBA functions

When SQL connects to Excel tables, you cannot expect SQL to convert data. Data must be converted/pre-arranged in Excel first.

Louis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back