2 Basic Questions: Counting items in a named range & excluding items in the count

Burrgogi

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got a list of game DLCs in column A - goes from A2 through A500. I've created named ranges for the vast majority of items in the list; there are however approx. 30 or 40 items that do not have a name. At the bottom of the sheet, I've got a summary. Let's say in cell B510 I have the following:
=COUNTA(A2:A500)

It gives me a total count of the items (good) but how can I make it exclude the items from the total count that DO NOT have a named range?

Second part of the question:

In the summary section just below the overall total count shown, I'd like to have another statistic displayed. I'd like to have a total count of all the DLCs excluding the items that are notated with "BGM" in column C.
In short, I'd like for cell B511 to read as follows: ="Effective Count Total: xxx". Where xxx = the number displayed in cell B510 minus yyy. Where yyy is the total number of items notated with BGM in column C.

Attachments

• DLC listing.png
    DLC listing.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 24

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Hi there,
so for question 1: that's quite hard - I don't know what "have a named range" means: a cell can be in various named ranges, it can be a named range on its own or being part of a bigger named range. Having said that: there is no formula I know of that can tell you if a cell is (part of) a named range. You could probably solve it with VBA, but you'd have to loop over all named ranges.
For your second question, you could use the COUNTIFS formula, something like =COUNTIFS(A5:A500,"<>",C5:C500,"<>BGM").
Cheers,
Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaurav_7829

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back