2 dummy datasets -- each column is gradually smaller than the prior... having a problem when I subtract the before from the after data

daytona12345

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
What I am trying to accomplish is to create fake data, so far I've done this by doing:
1. =RANDBETWEEN() and this works fine.
2. I need each consecutive column to be smaller than the previous one, which I can accomplish by doing a =RANDBETWEEN()/100 * previous cell so that I get only a percentage as a whole number from the prior cell.
3. I then need to make a second data set. The very first column that I used for =RANDBETWEEN is the exact same, so I just reference this....then each additional column here just needs to be slightly higher than the first dataset.

I'm having an issue when I go to get the difference between the before and after dataset....I'll have a column of Total Sales, and then Sales within 24 hours -- and the sales within 24 hours is a higher number than the sales -- which is not possible.

TL;DR
I need fake data for each of these columns in 'Before'...it's an advertising workflow, so each column is smaller and smaller. Then I need an 'After' set of data where we may perform something that should increase the success rate. When I go to get the difference -- I can't have more 'Sales within 24 hours' than 'Sales'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 12.25.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 12.25.14 PM.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I'm having an issue when I go to get the difference between the before and after dataset....I'll have a column of Total Sales, and then Sales within 24 hours -- and the sales within 24 hours is a higher number than the sales -- which is not possible.
Your problem is not in the After - Before comparison. It's in the After fake data.

If you want every data point to be better than before (i.e. highly fake data!) then you'll need to "fix" L6 and L8 - which at the moment you have lower than F6 and F8, and also make sure that each of M6 and N6 is greater than G6 and H6, and similar for row 8.

Upvote 0
Thanks Stephen -- I have a couple thousand rows of data -- any thoughts on the best way to do this more efficiently

What I had originally done was do =RANDBETWEEN() to get the ad views column -- which is going to be the same regardless of the before and after.
From there I had done =RANDBETWEEN(55,75)/100 * C3

I've also done this so that the rows with iOS and Android have different percentages because to be more accurate to real life, android would have higher numbers.

When I got to the After columns I had tried a few different things, I had tried increasing the result of before by another randbetween percentage, I also tried to do numbers greater than the before column by doin something like a D3+1 but keep running into this issue.

Upvote 0
There are any number of ways you could contrive to do this. Here's one:

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B7:B10B7=RANDBETWEEN(120000,200000)
C7:F10C7=ROUND(B7*RANDBETWEEN(MyMin,MyMax)/100,0)
G7:G10,M7:M10G7=E7-F7
I7:I10I7=RANDBETWEEN(C7+4,B7)
J7:J10J7=RANDBETWEEN(D7+3,C7)
K7:K10K7=RANDBETWEEN(E7+2,D7)
L7:L10L7=RANDBETWEEN(F7+1,K7-G7-1)
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
MyMax=Sheet1!$C$2C7:F10
MyMin=Sheet1!$C$1C7:F10

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back