32bit vs 64bit Excel

gmooney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have some Excel code that runs fine on my 64bit Excel version but when testing with a user with 32 bit the code is throwing an error message

On this line:

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).png

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Any idea why 32bit can't handle this?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
AppActivate should work just fine on a 32-bit version of Excel. The error usually indicates that no application window contains the title "Category Review Links.xlsm" in the title bar.

Upvote 0
AppActivate should work just fine on a 32-bit version of Excel. The error usually indicates that no application window contains the title "Category Review Links.xlsm" in the title bar.
Domenic, but why would it work on my PC finding the Category Review Links.xlsm file and not on hers when the file is open on both PCs?

Upvote 0
What is the exact title displayed on the title bar of the target window?

Upvote 0
IMO the "bitness" of Excel isn't relevant in case of issues like these, rather (and most likely) the settings within the Windows File Explorer on that particular computer.
If the setting "Hide extensions for known file types" is checked (Explorer > View tab > Options button > Change folder and search options > Folder Options dialog > View tab > Advanced settings), Excel's title bar will act accordingly.
The AppActivate method in your code assumes the .xlsm part is displayed in the title bar. If it isn't an error is thrown.

Upvote 0
The code I posted here:

looks through all open windows and checks for a partial match. So if you give it "Category Review Links", it should find "Category Review Links.xlsm", or "Excel - Category Review Links.xlsm", or "Category Review Links", any of which could occur based on the version of Excel and OS. Once found, take the full window name and use AppActivate. Did you ever get the code to work on your other problem?

Upvote 0
I have confirmed it is indeed "Category Review Links.xlsm:; no Excel or anything else with it.

Eric W I have several posts out there so not sure what other problem it might have been? The one where the 32bit user clicks on a cell and gets the error about not being able to open the website but i can open the website on my 64bit?

Upvote 0
I was referring to the problem in the link I posted.
Hi Eric,

Ok thanks. I will go look at it.

I just retested this on my own 32bit PC and it worked fine. The other user has 32bit and it doen't work on hers but she has 32bit OS and I have 64bit OS with my 32bit Office. Could that be an issue?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taner zz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back