Access - How do you change a shared drive path name to not include individual user so others can run the queries?

KRE

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I built a query in access that is pulling data from several linked tables. The Tables are all located on a shared drive. The database itself is on a network drive but other users can't run the query because the path specifically references the user name of c:\users\k~~h\M.... Isn't there a way to put an * or something where the specific user name exists in the path so that any user can run the query that is on the same network and shared drive?

1712861467568.png

Attachments

• 1712861324551.png
    1712861324551.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I think you're describing a situation where the back end tables are in an Access db and the form/reports/etc are in a front end Access db. Either way, they are both databases so your terms are a bit vague. If I'm right, and the be is on a network "share" and you are asking how to link to the tables so that everyone can use them when they don't use the same drive letter, then you need to link the tables using a UNC path.

If by shared drive you mean something like OneDrive or SharePoint then that is a different thing altogether.
If those Excel files in the pic are what you are trying to share, then I don't see any other solution other than putting them in a shared network folder. If some users use a different drive volume label (e.g. some are F some are G, etc.) but the files are all in the same folder, then a UNC path is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hochanz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back