Add Chart Via VBA

BrianExcel

I am trying to add a chart via VBA. The workbook I am working in is an add-in, but the data sources for the chart exist in the workbook and work properly. If I add the chart manually via Insert > Chart > etc., it works fine.

However, when I try to add the chart, I continually get a "Compile Error: Invalid or unqualified reference" error.

Here is the code I am using..

VBA Code:
Sub Apply_Graph_Formatting(controlo As IRibbonControl)
Dim VenueColumn As Long
Dim PercentColumn As Long

VenueColumn = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
PercentColumn = .Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row

ActiveWorkbook.Activeworksheet.Shapes.AddChart(201, xlColumnClustered).Select
    ActiveChart.ApplyChartTemplate ("C:\Users\brian.david\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Charts\OpsReviewHistogramTemplate.crtx")
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Range(VenueColumn, PercentColumn)

End Sub

Any thoughts on why this won't work?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Update:

I got the chart to add (had some spelling errors), but now the last line above, the data source, is giving me a "Run-time error '1004':

Method 'Range' of object '_global' failed

Working on this, but could use some help...

Upvote 0
One final correction: this is the code I am using, functional until the last row (set source data)...

VBA Code:
Sub Apply_Graph_Formatting(control As IRibbonControl)
Dim VenueColumn As Long
Dim PercentColumn As Long

VenueColumn = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("7DayEdits").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
PercentColumn = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("7DayEdits").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row

ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddChart(201, xlColumnClustered).Select
    ActiveChart.ApplyChartTemplate ("C:\Users\brian.david\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Charts\OpsReviewHistogramTemplate.crtx")
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Range(VenueColumn, PercentColumn)

End Sub

Upvote 0
You can trial this. HTH. Dave
Code:
Dim ChartRange As Range
VenueColumn = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("7DayEdits").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
PercentColumn = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("7DayEdits").Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
Set ChartRange = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("7DayEdits").Range(VenueColumn, PercentColumn)
ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddChart(201, xlColumnClustered).Select
ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=ChartRange, PlotBy:=xlColumns

Upvote 0
Thanks ND -

Looks like because my data is in a table format I was able to select the columns by using the following:

Range("Sum7EditsTable[[#All],[Venue]]").Select
ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="VenueColumn", RefersToR1C1:="=Sum7EditsTable[[#All],[Venue]]"

Upvote 0
I had something similar I had a 35,000 list of names and wanted a to search for an individual .I have office 365 on the customize ribbon under command buttons not in the ribbon there is a FORM
command move this to quick access dont know whether it is in earlier versions. I have 8 columns in a header I changed the spread sheet to a table and clicked on the form button in quick access bingo it works a treat i can delete, insert new and search under criteria. NO VBA needed when i want to do anything with the form i just click on the form in the quick access bar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back