Adding rows based on comma value

smashclash

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a set of data like below that I need to separate out. Rather than the data be broken out for each single instance of a name it's grouped together at times and summed the amt. So for example in the below picture I'd like Chip Dale and Vicky Micky to be in separate rows and each have an amount of $500. VBA could identify the need to break this out because of the comma in column A. Frank Tank in A3 would be no action since there are no commas. Chip Dale, Vicky Micky, Mike Ike in A5 would need two rows added and the 800 divided by 3 (266.67) since there are three names for the Amt.

For all the rows with commas the names should only appear one time after VBA runs. So it could work as follows. Search column A for a comma. FInd comma and insert the number of rows equivalent to the number of commas. Then adjust the Names so they only appear once. Example, search column A for comma, find one in Column A2. Clone row 2. Change name in row A2 to Chip Dale and amount to be 500. The new row added would be Vicky Micky and Amt is 500. Then repeat for any other commas in column A.

Names.PNG

there is no add-in for 365
ask IT about your version contain Power Query or not

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I asked and this is what he wrote back:

Important: Data Catalog Deprecation Notice
Data Catalog capabilities in Excel and Power Query stopped working on March 4th, 2019.

You should be able to download it like you showed me in the last screen-shot. It should work with 365.

Upvote 0
OK, I clicked on the file. Opened up Excel Online and I downloaded a copy of the file. I then opened it up in Excel on my PC. Right clicked within the green table and hit refresh. It appears to have processed but none of the data changed (don't think it should have).

Upvote 0
Thank you again! I just updated my profile. I will read up on PQ later today.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back