Adjust Indentation on Pivot Tables

reberryjr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Pivot tables are frustrating me again. I use the underlying code to refresh a pivot table, but if a new item has been added to the table, that item is indented twice as far as the others. In a "normal" cell it would be an indentation of 2, but I need it to be 1. I can't seem to find anything on the web that says how to adjust indentation in a pivot table. I took a stab at it, and have included that below as well.

VBA Code:
'This is what I'm using to refrsh the pivot table.
'mS.PivotTables("InitSummary").ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(xlDatabase, SourceData:=m.Sheets("Inventory").Range("A2:AE" & mILR))

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

Dim m As Workbook
Dim mS As Worksheet
Dim PT As PivotTable
Dim PF As PivotField
Dim c As Range

Set m = ThisWorkbook
Set mS = m.Sheets("Summaries")

Set PT = mS.PivotTables("InitSummary")

For Each c In PT.RowFields("Title")  ''I'm getting the "Object doesn't support this property or method" error.
    If c.IndentLevel = 2 Then
        c.IndentLevel = 1
    Else: Exit Sub
    End If
Next c

'This is what I'm using to refrsh the pivot table.
'mS.PivotTables("InitSummary").ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create(xlDatabase, SourceData:=m.Sheets("Inventory").Range("A2:AE" & mILR))

End Sub

Can you put a suitably censored workbook somewhere for us to have a look at?
Unfortunately, that's not an option on my work laptop. I might just have to write code to trash the current pivot table, and create a new one when someone tries to refresh it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused, since the acceptable values for InsertIndent are 0 to 250, inclusive...

After taking another look, I see that you were actually talking about InsertIndent, not IndentLevel as per original post. The former is a method, whereas the latter is a property.

Maybe the reason that your original code does not change the indent level for the cell is that the existing indent level is actually greater than 2, and so If .IndentLevel = 2 Then evaluates to False. Does this help?

VBA Code:
    If c.IndentLevel <> 1 Then
        c.IndentLevel = 1
    End If

Upvote 0
After taking another look, I see that you were actually talking about InsertIndent, not IndentLevel as per original post. The former is a method, whereas the latter is a property.

Maybe the reason that your original code does not change the indent level for the cell is that the existing indent level is actually greater than 2, and so If .IndentLevel = 2 Then evaluates to False. Does this help?

VBA Code:
        c.IndentLevel = 1
    End If
@Domenic I'm trying to see if your suggestion will work, but I'm getting the Object doesn't support this property or method error on the For line
VBA Code:
For Each c In mS.PivotTables("InitSummary").RowFields("Title")
        c.IndentLevel = 1
    End If
Next c

Upvote 0
Actually, that should be . . .

VBA Code:
For Each c In mS.PivotTables("InitSummary").RowFields("Title").DataRange

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back