ADO query keeps cutting off the full string

bradyboyy88

Hi,

I am using the following ADO connection and I am not sure why but depending on the query the recordset value for a string may be cut off. Maybe there is some sort of restriction for ADO data transfers or for Recordsets?

Code:
Public Sub SQLOpenDatabaseConnection(StrDBPath As String, EngineType As Integer)

'Define Connection String by inputting StrDBPath into a larger string (Works for Excel DB)
    'Define Connection String by inputting StrDBPath into a larger string
    'Access Support for engine type
    If EngineType = 0 Then

sConn = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.15.0;" & _
                                 "Data Source=" & StrDBPath & ";" & _
                                 "Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;" & _
                                 "Persist Security Info=False;Mode=Share Exclusive;"

'Excel Support for engine type
    ElseIf EngineType = 1 Then

sConn = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source='" & StrDBPath & "';" & _
             "Extended Properties=""Excel 12.0;HDR=NO;ReadOnly=0;"";"

End If

RetryConnection:
    DoEvents
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
        'Connect to the database
20       oConn.Open sConn
    On Error GoTo 0

Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
'triggered by connection error. Most likely locking type
'MsgBox "looks like we had a connection error. The error number is " & Err.Number & " and the description is " & Err.Description & " on line " & Erl

Err.Clear
Resume RetryConnection

End Sub

Last edited:
I must not have rerun my code right. I removed distinct and your right.... Wow great article and find. I really appreciate that. So is there anyway around this since distinct is sometimes important to use for queries?

I should have been more specific. I guess in regards to the query or using some other type of ado engine. The workarounds from the article seem to change the data structure or having to requery the current recordset which I guess I may to do some research on. Actually I may not even understand their workarounds to be honest haha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I think the idea of the workarounds is to use a query to do the distinct part without the memo field and then take the results from that query and use them to return all the fields, including the memo field, in another query.

Not sure how exactly you would do that in ADO but perhaps something involving a sub query that returns the primary keys of the distinct records.

Upvote 0
Your completely right. I re did my query logic (using a sub query that has distinct but no memo field) then inner joined and wallah it works. Thanks for all your help Norie!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back