Alphabetize Index/Match results?

rcmii

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a range of data (over 1000 rows -- that could be hundreds of thousand in the future -- and approx 135 columns). Is it possible to write the Index/Match but have the results show up in alphabetic order (or numeric if have cells searching for numeric values)?

I have what I need insofar as the Index/Match is concerned, but it returns the data in the order it's listed in a data dump file. I could always just sort that every time I refresh the data, but I'm wondering if there is a formula work-around that will do this. I am not yet very good at VBA so looking for a formula solution, if one exists.

If this is possible, I am happy to post a sample file if that helps. I hate to spin anyone's wheels so inquiring first on the possibility and how to write the formula and then I can send a file if I can't get it to work and then see if anyone has a more specific solution.

Maybe this is too vague right now...but starting here to see what advice anyone can provide.

(I'm not beholden to Index/Match if there is another solution for retrieving data and alphabetizing it upon the results tab).

Thank you in advance.
RCM

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Please update your profile with the version of Excel you're using. The best solution often depends on which functions you have available. For example if you have SORT and XLOOKUP, you could do this:

Book1
ABCDEFG
1ListSorted listAnimalNumber
215catdog1
32dogcat2
46dolphinpony3
599elephantelephant4
61lizardtoad5
79not founddolphin6
83peacockwhale7
94peacocklizard8
105ponypeacock9
1110swanswan10
128toadalbatross11
139zorillahamster12
14iguana13
15crocodile14
16zorilla15
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B13B2=SORT(XLOOKUP(A2:A13,G2:G16,F2:F16,"not found",0))
Dynamic array formulas.

If you don't have those, it's a much tougher problem. Even if you do, then even these functions will probably bog down if you get to hundreds of thousands of rows. So you might be better off with VBA in either case.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will try that as I have SORT and XLOOKUP.

My work version is MS 365 Apps for Enterprise, Excel version 2108

Upvote 0
My work version is MS 365 Apps for Enterprise

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Thank you. I will do that.

Upvote 0
I have a range of data (over 1000 rows -- that could be hundreds of thousand in the future -- and approx 135 columns)
I'm not quite sure how, if at all, the 135 columns relates to the problem but in case you do get to the hundreds of thousands of rows and if the formula suggestion is too slow then you could try a macro as outlined below. I did notice that you said this was not preferred, but that may change if the formula calculations become too "heavy". :cool:

For the layout in Eric's post above your could try this macro. To implement ..
1. With the relevant worksheet active press Alt+F11 to bring up the vba window.
2. In the Visual Basic window use the menu to Insert|Module
3. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 2.
4. Close the Visual Basic window.
5. Press Alt+F8 to bring up the Macro dialog
6. Select the macro & click ‘Run’
7. Your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)

VBA Code:
Sub Sorted_List()
  Dim d As Object, AL As Object
  Dim a As Variant, b As Variant
  Dim i As Long

Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  Set AL = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")
  a = Range("F2", Range("G" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
  For i = 1 To UBound(a)
    d(a(i, 2)) = a(i, 1)
  Next i
  a = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
  For i = 1 To UBound(a)
    If d.exists(a(i, 1)) Then
      AL.Add d(a(i, 1))
    Else
      AL.Add "not found"
    End If
  Next i
  AL.Sort
  b = AL.ToArray
  ReDim a(1 To UBound(b) + 1, 1 To 1)
  For i = 1 To UBound(a)
    a(i, 1) = b(i - 1)
  Next i
  Range("B2").Resize(AL.Count).Value = a
End Sub

If you are still needing help (formula or macro - or power query would be another option) then a small set of dummy sample data (say 10-15 rows and 4 columns) and the corresponding expected results (which I gather will actually go on a different sheet?) with XL2BB would be very helpful. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back