An Excel Helper's Cheat Sheet

this is insanely close to what i was referring to thank you. just wish it was organized in categories, but beggars cant be choosers.
Also there is famous Hiker's list on MrExcel which I remembered later.

@mikerickson As I understood this post is for helper for quick search and not for end users per se. I might be wrong!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
@mikerickson As I understood this post is for helper for quick search and not for end users per se. I might be wrong!

correct!
I understand end users will be end users. I just want a quick and easy way to navigate useful info to share, templates, and formula basics.
What you've supplied is SO GOOD. i love it thank you.

In the same vein, but for personal use, I have a lot of reusable code stored in a "The Guide" file. The Guide uses outlining, so I can keep my code in a structured fashion. (For example, I have a node called "Sort", with a variety of different sort functions as its child nodes.) Whenever I want a piece of code to do something, I open The Guide, and using the structure can usually go straight to the code, copy, paste, and done! Sometimes, when a piece of code can be stored in several different places in The Guide, and I am looking in the wrong place, I just use Ctrl-Shift-F to find what I'm looking for. And because there is a portable version - see The Guide Portable (two-pane outliner) | PortableApps.com - I can load it onto a USB stick and use it on any computer. The only complaint I have with The Guide is that it doesn't understand VBA, so everything is mono-coloured text. (The Guide will also store entire files and graphics, not just text, if you need that.)

A side-effect of doing things this way is I only paste the code that I actually use into a given project. Before I used to wholesale import modules, because 60% of the code in a given module might be used. Now I just compile, and when it complains that a sub/function isn't present, I copy and paste, then repeat the compile to pick up the next one, until there are none missing. Only the necessary code is then present.

In the same vein, but for personal use, I have a lot of reusable code stored in a "The Guide" file. The Guide uses outlining, so I can keep my code in a structured fashion. (For example, I have a node called "Sort", with a variety of different sort functions as its child nodes.)

Thats a super interesting way to keep organized. Its pretty much the same concept only mine wouldn't be for personal use. I am still working on my helper workbook, but once i'm finished with it i will share.
My version of this emphasizes ease of access to code and automatically copies templates to your clipboard after making a selection, I've even been considering writing entire responses to the most generic questions like "multiple criteria vlookup" and match/index type of things as they are one in the same, just pointing to different columns. I also happen to be a fan of teaching someone how to do things as opposed to just giving them a solution (even though most of the time i just give them the solution)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sniffit1st

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back