Another VLOOKUP Question

LogPlanner

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spreadsheet that is tied to 14 different spreadsheets.
I am trying to track required training for individuals, but each training requirement has multiple options to complete the training, but not all options are required to end up being considered good or complete on the training.
Currently I have a training requirement that has 6 different options to complete the training, but only one requirement is require to be considered good.

What I would like to do is, if Column S says "Complete" then the formula will read the cells on the source spreadsheet and return "Complete" and the cell on the source spreadsheet is blank, then the cell would remain blank so I know what course was complete.
If Column S says "Incomplete", then all the cells that are blank would come back as "Incomplete" unless there is data in the cell, then it would return "Complete"
The columns in use are the following:
D = the source data for VLOOKUP
S = the column that my current VLOOKUP formula will return a "Complete" or "Incomplete" based off this formula: =IF(VLOOKUP(D3,'[name.xlsx]Sheet1'!$1:$1048576,17,FALSE)>0,"Complete","Incomplete")
Column I is the first cell where I want it to return "Complete" or "Incomplete" based off the data in the S Column.
I tried this formula =IF(S3="Incomplete",IF(VLOOKUP(D3,'[name.xlsx]Sheet1'!$1:$1048576,17,FALSE)>0,"Complete","Incomplete"),"Incomplete"),"Complete")
I am sure you already see the problem, but here is what I get. If S3="Complete" it marks the cell complete even if the source spreadsheet has no data in that cell.

I hope I am explaining this in a way that you understand it. I have no official training in excel, I think that is obvious, and usually can Google a solution, but what I am looking to do is beyond a simple Google search.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
What I would like to do is, if Column S says "Complete" then the formula will read
You say one thing there.

But in your formula you put something different:
I tried this formula =IF(S3="Incomplete"....

You could explain with an example
what you have on the sheets,
what you want to search for,
where you want to search for it,
what you want as a result and
where you want the result.

Use XL2BB tool to put examples.
🧙‍♂️

Upvote 0
You say one thing there.

But in your formula you put something different:

You could explain with an example
what you have on the sheets,
what you want to search for,
where you want to search for it,
what you want as a result and
where you want the result.

Use XL2BB tool to put examples.
🧙‍♂️
I will have to figure a way to share what I have since the source documents are on my Air Force One Drive and some of the information in the cells is PII information.

Upvote 0
some of the information in the cells is PII information
Just make a copy of the workbook and change that information in whatever smallish part(s) of the workbook you want to post so that the sensitive data is meaningless (but still representative of what you are trying to achieve).
Or else make a up a new small workbook with dummy data but still representative of what you have and are trying to achieve.

Upvote 0
Just make a copy of the workbook and change that information in whatever smallish part(s) of the workbook you want to post so that the sensitive data is meaningless (but still representative of what you are trying to achieve).
Or else make a up a new small workbook with dummy data but still representative of what you have and are trying to achieve.
Doing that now. Basically making a spreadsheet with the formulas that are currently in the cells, less the = sign and then will have an explanation on what I want returned into the cells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back