Assigning 1 of 4 possible states

Guy27B

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm creating a system to track course completion data, which assigns a status to each row entry.
I'm trying to workout how to automatically assign 1 of 4 possible 'status' (archived, compliant, final month, or overdue) to each row based on today's date, the completion date, and the due date. In addition, the status needs to change to Archived when another row is entered by the same person with the same course title, but a different completion date. I've pasted an example below and for the purpose of the example, I'm using todays date as 22 June 22.

1655902784438.png

To explain further,
The Status of an entry (row) will change depending on today’s date (Variable), and the Date Completed (Fixed – from MS Form) and Date Due (Fixed due to course freq).

1655909933324.png

NB. When the second entry is made and results in a ‘compliant’ status, the first entry needs to change to ‘Archived’.

My formula in column I is:
=IF(TODAY() <= (EDATE($H2,-1)), Validation!$C$4, IF( AND( TODAY() > (EDATE($H2,-1)), TODAY()<=($H2-1)), Validation!$C$3, IF(XLOOKUP(1, (E:E=$E2) * (C:C=$C2), D:D,,, -1) = $D2, Validation!$C$2, Validation!$C$5)))
Please note Validation tab, column C holds the text for the 4 status', e.g., C2= Overdue, c3= Final Month, c4 = Compliant, c5 = Archived.

The formula works in most circumstances. However, there are two problems:

1. Dates of learning achieved must be entered in chronological order. Where a 'compliant' date is entered prior to an 'Archived' date, the system will recognise the Archived Date out of these two records and give it a Status of OVERDUE!!!
2. Two entries by the same person for the same course: entry 1 completion date = 25 Jan 22, entry 2 completion date = 20 Jun 22, results in both entries being assigned 'compliant' status. This is because of the first part of the formula doesn't account for this. What should happen is that when a 2nd entry is submitted by the same person for the same course, but with a different date, the older entry is assigned the status of 'Archived' and the new entry is assigned 'compliant' - assuming that it is within the (see due date).

I appreciate that this is a complicated system, and I'm open to all suggestions of help and advice.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1655902406013.png
    1655902406013.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back