Automatically add to link after entry in a column.

Livin404

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings, We're adding to a database, and within a Column (H) I would like to be able to type in a word than after hitting entering or tab key it will automatically add the link. I believe all or nearly all will be saved in a PDF format. This is the portion of link that will never change.
Excel Formula:
P:\ File Structure\Shared Documents\(FOUO) Special Handling\(FOUO) Inbound\2.FLIGHT MANIFEST\

The final code for example would be
Excel Formula:
P:\ File Structure\Shared Documents\(FOUO) Special Handling\(FOUO) Inbound\2.FLIGHT MANIFEST\2021\04 APRIL\BAH1C00956.pdf

The
Excel Formula:
2021\04 APRIL\
portion I hope can be coded based the date in Column A. The 04 is not the day but a number to ensure the month folders are kept in order. The only thing that will be unique is the name BAH1C00956. So after typing in the name after the month a link is created after I come up with the name for the file. I would also have to ensure .PDF is inserted right after the last key entry in Column H.

Thank you very much indeed.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Not 100 % sure I understood what you're really asking for but the year & month part of the path is quite easy to achieve with a normal worksheet function:
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A2,"YYYY/MM MMMM/"),"/","\")
The TEXT function takes the date from A2 and turns it into something like "2021/04 April/" and the SUBSTITUTE changes the forward slashes into backward slashes.

Once you have your full path you can turn that into a link with the HYPERLINK function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back