Best form of Incorporation for a consultant? C, S or LLC?

Lokai

Board Regular
In the USA what would be the best form of incorporation for a single person consultancy / application developer? C, S or LLC? I'm married with children if that's a factor.

It would help if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night but any experiences & "amateur" advice would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I'm a single person consultancy/application developer - first year full-time and am currently sole proprietor. I'm feeling out my income level before I upgrade. Course, I work with Bill and he handles all the legal stuff - techincally, he contracts me.
But, because of the legal issues (to protect yourself, mostly), it you're alone, you might want to consider going up to the next level - an LLC. If I understand correctly, the business becomes an entity - and you an employee. And if your business spends all its wages on employees, it's non-profit... I'm don't understand all of it - but it does offer a person more protection.

check out the irs site- it does have good info for starters - or your local sba.

The best part about having an LLC is it's free to obtain. ;)

Re: Best form of Incorporation for a consultant? C, S or LLC

The best part about having an LLC is it's free to obtain.
Not in California. $120 or so a year to the entity that represents you (we use www.legalzoom.com), and $820/year to the state for the annual filing fee. (But California IS NOT a business friendly state!)

It's still a great idea as it insulates you legally. I made my boss do it just for liability reasons when he bought his family avocado grove. If a contract laborer falls out of a tree while picking, he can't be held personally accountable in a lawsuit, just the LLC and its assets. Whereas with a sole proprietorship you could lose everything. With an LLC, you can also be "CEO", in case titles mean anything to you.

Your accountant would be the best place to start, as he/she will be able to tell you about state & federal requirements.

Smitty

P.S. Some friends of ours just sold their Holiday Inn Express (for $7 million), and they now have all kinds of problems because they held it personally and not in any type of corporation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back