Best Lookup option for two tables with 400,000 rows of data

dhome

Good Morning, I have two tables of data in Table 1 in column D I have 430,000 rows of data and in table 2 in column C I have 350,000 rows of data. completing a Lookup is crashing the computer, Can anyone in the room offer any alternative formula please.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
The best solution is probably NOT Excel.

What you are describing is really a large relational database. While you may be able to brute-force Excel to try to behave like a relational database, that is NOT what it was designed for, so it typically does not handle it to efficiently.

You would be better off trying a database solution, such as Microsoft Access or SQL. If those are not possibilities, then I would recommend investigating trying to use Power Pivot, which allows you to do database-like functions in Excel. We have a separate forum for help on the Power Tools (appropriately called "Power Tools"). There are some Stickys at the top of that forum with some information on those tools.

Upvote 0
The best solution is probably NOT Excel.

What you are describing is really a large relational database. While you may be able to brute-force Excel to try to behave like a relational database, that is NOT what it was designed for, so it typically does not handle it to efficiently.

You would be better off trying a database solution, such as Microsoft Access or SQL. If those are not possibilities, then I would recommend investigating trying to use Power Pivot, which allows you to do database-like functions in Excel. We have a separate forum for help on the Power Tools (appropriately called "Power Tools"). There are some Stickys at the top of that forum with some information on those tools.
Hi Joe
Your answer is what I expected. Eventually, the LOOKUP would be automated as the data tables are delivered via large downloads, so thinking Access with a query written may be the option but I'll take a look at Power Tools also.
Thanks for your advice
David

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Hope you find a solution that works for you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back