Between Dates Query

gmazza76

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon

I have a formula in my query that identifies if today is Tuesday and sets the dates correctly for a between Monday and Friday of the previous week.
This works fine, but how would I add in to the below say the same for each day of the week?

Is this something that is possible?

Code:
Between IIf(Format(Date(),"ddd")="Tue",Date()-8) And IIf(Format(Date(),"ddd")="Tue",Date()-3)

thanks in advance

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I have tried the following, but get an "You did not enter the keyword And in the Between ..... And Operator"

Code:
IIf(Format(Date(),"ddd")="Mon", Between Date()-7) And Date()-1),
IIf(Format(Date(),"ddd")="Tues", Between Date()-8) And Date()-2),
IIf(Format(Date(),"ddd")="Weds", Between Date()-9) And Date()-3),
IIf(Format(Date(),"ddd")="Thurs", Between Date()-10) And Date()-4),
Between Date()-11) And Date()-5))

Any pointers

Upvote 0
Do you ALWAYS want between Monday and Friday of the previous week, regardless of what day of the week it is this week?

I think you should be able to create a simple function without any Nested Ifs by incorporating the Weekday function.
Just apply it to the current date. See: Weekday Function - Microsoft Support

Upvote 0
In case you need a suggestion on how to use that function (because I don't see a sample there that gives you what you want):
Your query might work if you use an expression like the following to get the date of Monday in the prior week:
Date() - Weekday(Date(), 2) + 1
then add 4 to that result as the second date. However, if your dates come from table fields then there are 2 issues I see with that.
1) the date the calculation will be based on isn't today
2) if the date is null you'll either return Null or the query will bomb; not sure which if not both. In either case, a function would be better as @Joe says because it can handle null as well as variable date inputs. For example, the function could return Monday date based on a date such as:
#09/29/2023# - Weekday(#09/29/2023#, vbMonday) + 1 which should return 9/25/23

There is also another pitfall that occurs when your date field values contain time (even if you don't see it, it is there as either 00:00:00 by default, or your format is hiding the time component). In that case, BETWEEN stops at midnight of the latter date, which means you get no records for the last day. By that I mean anything that gets time stamped at say 01:00:00 AM is not included. To avoid that I've used DateAdd to bring the time portion up to the last minute or second of the latter date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back