Blank Cell being largest

Lewzerrrr

Hi,

I have a sheet at work in which I need to sort/filter largest to smallest, I've tried to replicate it at home.

Just a side question, how comes when I pop a filter over column F it it comes up sort A-Z, sort Z-A when that column has numbers in instead of text? My replica at home has the same formula which returns numbers but says sort Largest to Smallest, sort Smallest to Largest?

So in column F I have a formula that says, =IF(B2="","",IFERROR(SUM(H2/G2),99.9))).

What I'm trying to do is neaten up the work sheet so if my data input has nothing it then the IF will return that column as BLANK but if I input my data then the IF won't be blank so it will return my sum.. and I drag that down incase of large data input but when I sort it so the numeric value is largest to smallest, the blanks appear first? (I know I can easily filter out blanks)

ABCDEF
1PickedProductDescriptionUnitsMDLW Cover
2PROD11NIHG18099.9
3PROD8KH1675.0
4PROD5RD154Y99.9
5PROD10NUBF1411.5
6PROD4GUG12899.9
7PROD12KN11599.9
8PROD7IYUYB1021.3
9PROD2NUBF89Y3.6
10PROD3IHIHUG870.5
11PROD9HI6599.9
12PROD1DUSKY BLOUSE620.3
13PROD6LOL101.5

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Yes, I just done ISNUMBER and they all return true. I just tried to use ISBLANK on what should be blank cells and its returning false. Can you advise on what the cell is then if not blank?

Upvote 0
An ISTEXT returns true on the =IF(B2="","",IFERROR(SUM(H2/G2),99.9)).. so what is the [value_if_true] doing which is "", if it's not a blank?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EDIT: Instead I put my [value_if_true] as -9998 and then conditional format on that row for cells that contain cell value between -9997 and -9999 with white text.

Upvote 0
If a cell is having formula then it is not BLANK and hence isblank will return false.

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
So based on your data, which column out of 'units' and 'cover' puts blanks on top if your sort numeric - largest to smallest ?

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebc9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back