blank cell > than date??

ajm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, i am struggling with a formula that compares two date fields. the first date field is built by formula and the second is static (hard coded in a cell at the top of the page).

Formula: IF(AND(L2>=$S$1,OR(M2=$V$1,M2=$W$1,M2=$U$1)),"Type A","Type B") where

L2 is a Date (Date 1)
S1 is a static date (Date 2)
M2 is payment amount
U,V,W are amounts

So the formula reads " if Date 1 is greater than or equal to Date 2 AND the payment amount is the same as U,V, or W, then this is a Type A. Everything else is a Type B.

in all cases when Date 1 is blank, the result returned is Type A. How can the Blank Date be greater than the static date? How can I amend the formula to function correctly?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
becouse that cell is treated as empty text string which has bigger value in excel:
in your case I would start with IFS function and I would go: ifs=(yourcell ref = "";"Type A"; here post every other case)

Upvote 0
Formula: IF(AND(L2>=$S$1,OR(M2=$V$1,M2=$W$1,M2=$U$1)),"Type A","Type B") where
L2 is a Date (Date 1)
S1 is a static date (Date 2)
[....]
when Date 1 is blank, the result returned is Type A. How can the Blank Date be greater than the static date? How can I amend the formula to function correctly?

Correction: when L2 __appears__ to be blank, but its value is actually the null string or a string of characters that appears to be blank, then L2>=S1 is TRUE.

The reason: in Excel, any text is treated as greater than any number. It's an arbitrary choice.

To confirm: verify that ISBLANK(L2) returns FALSE, and ISTEXT(L2) returns TRUE.

If you do not see a string or a formula that returns a string in L2, the reason might be: someone copy-and-pasted-value into L2.

In contrast, if L2 is truly empty (no value; ISBLANK(L2) returns TRUE), L2>=S1 is FALSE because Excel treats L2 as zero in that context.

The simplest fix:

IF(AND(N(L2)>=$S$1, OR(M2=$V$1, M2=$W$1, M2=$U$1)), "Type A", "Type B")

The N() function returns zero if its argument (L2) is text. Otherwise, it returns the numeric value of L2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back