breakdown of numbers in ratio or percentage

rippedit123

Hi Everyone,

I would be really grateful if any super person can help me with a bit of a dilemma. We want to calculate a formula that shows how much of universal credit (UC) benefits each person is entitled to after any deductions.

Here's a totally hypothetical scenario with made-up figures:
  • We receive £200 per month as a couple (So that's £100 each person)
  • We receive £100 per month for our two children
  • My partner receives £50 per month for disability
  • She also receives another £50 for Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
Looking at the above, the Total amount of UC benefits = £400.

However, since UC has a maximum cap of £350, it deducts the £50 my wife received for ESA

Therefore the total we actually receive as a family is £350.

So my questions are:
  1. From the £350, how much in percentage or ratio is owed to my partner?
  2. How do I create a standard formula that breaks down the above in Excel, even if the figures fluctuated in the future?
Thanks very much for your help.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
  1. From the £350, how much in percentage or ratio is owed to my partner?
Percentage of what? You mean 350 actual capped benefit / 400 total benefit = 87.5%?

Or do you mean your partner's 50 per month as a percentage of the total benefit 50/350 = 14.3%?

Or do you mean your partner's benefit reduced proportionally by the cap on the total benefit? But that would be an amount in pounds, not a percentage.

So I understand your scenario, but not the figure you are trying to get.

Upvote 0
Percentage of what? You mean 350 actual capped benefit / 400 total benefit = 87.5%?

Or do you mean your partner's 50 per month as a percentage of the total benefit 50/350 = 14.3%?

Or do you mean your partner's benefit reduced proportionally by the cap on the total benefit? But that would be an amount in pounds, not a percentage.

So I understand your scenario, but not the figure you are trying to get.

Hi 6Stringer. Thanks so much for trying to help me. Please accept my apologies as I'm finding it a bit difficult to explain what I'm asking for.

Using the above scenario, it's straight-forward to work out that from the couple's allowance (£50) + disability (£50) + ESA (£50), she is entitled to £150. However due to the benefit cap, there is a maximum threshold and when you reach that, anything above is reduced, making it difficult to calculate who's entitled to what proportionally. Now I know I said previously that UC deducts the £50 my wife received for ESA, but that is a mistake on my part. The simple fact is that UC deducts anything (not just ESA) one it hits a certain threshold (£350 in this example).

So what I'm trying to say is that if we are given £350 per month after UC have taken off any deductions, how much of that portion belongs to my partner in percentage/ratio or pounds? I need to know this because the benefits are slightly fluctuating every month, making it difficult for us and causing problems.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've meant to respond to your post when I first saw it, even before the above post, but due to many variables (as mentioned above), I held off.
At least one more thing...
Are the Children's benefits equally affected by this reduction? Or, should they be "untouched" ?
In other words, are the children entitled to their full $50 each ? and the reduction Only shared between you and your partner?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've meant to respond to your post when I first saw it, even before the above post, but due to many variables (as mentioned above), I held off.
At least one more thing...
Are the Children's benefits equally affected by this reduction? Or, should they be "untouched" ?
In other words, are the children entitled to their full $50 each ? and the reduction Only shared between you and your partner?

Hi jtakw. Thanks very much for helping. To be honest they don't mention it at all. But can we assume that the children are entitled to their full portion?

Also due to it being very personal, I can't post any screenshots on here, but I'm going to instead PM you their actual breakdown instead.

Thanks so much again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back