Budget sheet question

carew97

Platform
  1. MacOS
I've developed a spreadsheet for my personal budget. Column D is amount for all bills or income for the entire month and E is for outstanding bill or income for the month. Column B is currently using data validation with the options of "Paid" or "Not Paid" to pick from the dropdown list. I would like to make a change where If column B is changed from "Not Paid" to "Paid" it will automatically change column E for each specific cell within that column to reflect that cell to display 0. I've looked at options from If statement and others but struggled to find the right function to make this happen. Any suggestions? If I need another approach to make this happen, that would be no problem. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Welcome to the Board!

I think it would be most helpful if you could post a small sample of your data, and show us what your expected result is.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I think it would be most helpful if you could post a small sample of your data, and show us what your expected result is.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
Thanks Joe! I have a Mac. Do you have the tool explanation for Mac Excel? thanks again.

Upvote 0
It says it should work for Excel 365 for Mac's, and it looks like that is what you say you have.
Did you try it?

Upvote 0
My file VIA XI2bb
Budget (version 1).xlsb
BCDEFG
10Monthly Bills and Income
11Paid StatusDue DateBillAmount Outstanding PaymentPayment Type
127/31/23Fiber$30.00$30.00American Express
138/2/23Car Loan$450.26$450.26Checking Account
148/1/23Barclay$50.00$50.00Checking Account
158/1/23Mortgage$1,500.00$1,500.00Checking Account
168/18/23Trailer$330.98$330.98Checking Account
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B12:B16List=Sheet2!$A$1:$A$3

Upvote 0
Here is a better example of what I want showing Paid and not Paid.

Budget (version 1).xlsb
BCDEFG
10Monthly Bills and Income
11Paid StatusDue DateBillAmount Outstanding PaymentPayment Type
12Paid7/31/23Fiber$30.00$0.00American Express
13Paid8/2/23Car Loan$450.26$0.00Checking Account
14Paid8/1/23Barclay$50.00$0.00Checking Account
15Not Paid8/1/23Mortgage$1,500.00$1,500.00Checking Account
16Not Paid8/18/23Trailer$330.98$330.98Checking Account
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B12:B16List=Sheet2!$A$1:$A$3

Upvote 0
Couldn't you just make column F a formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(B12="Paid",0,E12)

Note: If it is possible to have partial payments, this may get a little trickier, and you will have to tell us how you want that to work.

Upvote 0
Solution
Couldn't you just make column F a formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(B12="Paid",0,E12)

Note: If it is possible to have partial payments, this may get a little trickier, and you will have to tell us how you want that to work.
Thanks Joe. I previously used this function but I struggled on how to properly how to write it. Thanks for resolving my issue since this was the first time I worked with the IF statement!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back