Calculation frequency on one worksheet

Steph77

Board Regular
Hi all

Browsing through a few threads to find a solution to one problem with our sheets at work, I had an idea about another one but I can't find anything through googling about it.

Lets say I have 2 visible sheets, "Data" and "Report"

"Report" has been built really badly by my predecessor, but I'm not allowed to change it (can I hear you say "frustrating!" I wonder? :p) It has close to 50 million calculations (mostly COUNTIFS with 4-8 criteria referencing entire columns on the "Data" sheet against cells on a hidden third worksheet) which run every time the worksheet calculates.

I would like the sheet users to be able to use the Data sheet without the constant 20-30 second delays caused by the Report sheet recalculating, but I need to leave automatic calculations turned on because they do use some formulas on the data sheet as part of their work and when I tried recommending they switch to manual I was met with heavy resistance.

The only way I can think of doing this is to have a macro that each time any sheet other than the "Report" sheet is selected it replaces all the "=" on the "Report" sheet with "@" or "#" or something else harmless that breaks the formulas, and then every time the "Report" sheet itself gets selcted those "=" get put back in and it recalculates that sheet only at that point.

Is this an efficient way to do this or is there a better way? I'm happy enough to experiment with writing the code myself (it's how I learn so I don't want to be spoon-fed), I just want to check I'm not missing some easier way of achieving the same goal before I do so.

Yeah that confused me too (though I don't know enough about what a lot of VBA does to know for sure so I just shrugged it off)

What can I say? It works now and works perfectly.

(Next google topic: "How to convince your boss not to be a technophobe")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
If you're using your code from post #7 then I would personally be reluctant to rely on it, there are things to say that it shouldn't work, unless you have it in every sheet module.

If that is the case then it will fail if anyone adds a new sheet. The code in post #8 would be more stable.

As for dealing with your boss, communicate in a language that always gets their attention.

Waiting 20 seconds per calculation, assuming a 5 day week, 200 calculations per day = 290 hours per year waiting time. How much is that costing your boss?:eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back