Calculations using Pivot table results over several months - not updating formula

JoPublic

Hi
I have a workbook for resource management that has pivot tables for Capacity and Planned/booked work.
I need to have a table that compares the capacity vs planned/booked time by resource type over 12+ months. This will show where there are resource demand issues.

When I add a formula to the table, capacity cell minus what is planned/booked, this is what the formula looks like. =GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Nov-21",$A$118,"Job Role","Analyst/Programmer")-GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Nov-21",$A$5,"Job Role","Analyst/Programmer")
When I drag it over to Dec 21 onwards - the formula is static, remains set on Nov 21 data.

Is there way to have the formula be more dynamic, so if you drag it across it will update the months and name headings? Is there a better way to compare in excel?

Thanks in advance for any advice - this is a time consuming piece of work that is needed regularly to report on. I have manually changed the dates in row 38, and row 39 is what happens when dragging across.

Jo :)
1627299753297.png

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi,

Are you sure this is the complete formula?
Do you have a separate pivot tables for each month of booked and each month of planned and if not it looks like a reference to the applicable month i missing in your formula.

Upvote 0
GetPivot is really good if you want to pull a value from a pivot the position of which is likely to change eg a number for analyst programmer or a total of a certain combination.

If you never want to use it you can turn it off under File > Options > Formulas > Working with Formulas
> Use GetPivotData functions for PivotTable reference.

To by pass the GetPivot function just type in = and then type in the cell reference.
Or = and then select 2 cells and backspace to get rid of the one you don't want.

I am not sure I have what you are trying to do right but here are some options you could consider.

Book4
JKLMNOP
23Values
24typeSum of Nov-21Sum of Dec-21Sum of Jan-22
25Clerk300700300
26Machine300300500
27Grand Total6001000800
30Get PivotClerk300700300
31Straight Cell referenceHard coded300700300
32Index MatchClerk300700300
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
M30:O30M30=GETPIVOTDATA(SUBSTITUTE(M$24,"Sum of ",""),$L$23,"type",$L30)
M31:O31M31=M25
M32:O32M32=INDEX($L$24:$O$26,MATCH($L32,$L$24:$L$26,0),MATCH(M$24,$L$24:$O$24,0))

Upvote 0
Hi,

Are you sure this is the complete formula?
Do you have a separate pivot tables for each month of booked and each month of planned and if not it looks like a reference to the applicable month i missing in your formula.
Hi

I have two pivots tables, one that is for capacity and the other on bookings. These are from separate spreadsheets. Both pivot tables on in the same worksheet which is where I have the table to - capacity minus booked time, to see what the over/under is for the month.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have two pivots tables, one that is for capacity and the other on bookings. These are from separate spreadsheets. Both pivot tables on in the same worksheet which is where I have the table to - capacity minus booked time, to see what the over/under is for the month.
Hi,

Could you show one or both pivot table using XL2BB?

Upvote 0
joris means this:-

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back