Can Excel emulate a database?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a number of "items" that I want to rate and track. One example is food. The minisheet below illustrates a simplified version of the sheet I am currnetly using to track vrious types of food that I buy.

The table on the left (TblRtgs) contains a record with a rating (0-100) for each time I try any of these food products. The table on the right (TblProds) contains a record for each product with the average of the ratings.

This works Ok, but I'd like to be able to do more, such as track the prices, the stores where the items were purchased, and calculate moving averages.

Is what I have the best way to do this? Is there a better way that will provide more options? Or should I move it all to a dataase?

Product comparison, Mr Excel.xlsx
BCDEFGHIJ
4DateProductTypeRatingProductTypeNumberAvg Rtg
57/20/23 DSoup65EBacon185
67/18/23 BBacon72BBacon275
76/09/23 EBacon85CCereal390
84/10/23 CCereal91ASoup287
91/30/23 BBacon77DSoup263
1012/14/22 ASoup85
119/14/22 ASoup89
127/07/22 CCereal88
136/08/22 DSoup60
144/16/22 CCereal92
Mr Excel
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I5:I9I5=COUNTIFS(TblRtgs[Product],[@Product])
J5:J9J5=AVERAGEIFS(TblRtgs[Rating],TblRtgs[Product],[@Product])
D5:D14D5=XLOOKUP([@Product],TblProds[Product],TblProds[Type])

Product comparison, Mr Excel.xlsx
M
Mr Excel

Thanks

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
It is contraversial. In my opinon it is a very subjective issue. One objective fact is, Excel is not a database and never should be used as a database.

But in practice, if you would have not more than, per say, 10.000 records then why not to use?

I know reputable R&D companies using an Excel file as product tree.

In my opinion, you are on the right path. If it fits your needs then it is unnecessary to invest for a much more complicated system.

If you would have 1.000.000 million records in the future and the file starts to become bulky, then you can look for database solutions. There are many ways to migrate Excel tables to SQL.

Upvote 0
It is contraversial. In my opinon it is a very subjective issue. One objective fact is, Excel is not a database and never should be used as a database.

But in practice, if you would have not more than, per say, 10.000 records then why not to use?

I know reputable R&D companies using an Excel file as product tree.

In my opinion, you are on the right path. If it fits your needs then it is unnecessary to invest for a much more complicated system.

If you would have 1.000.000 million records in the future and the file starts to become bulky, then you can look for database solutions. There are many ways to migrate Excel tables to SQL.
Thanks. I'll never have more than a few hundred records, let alone 10,000. It's not the number of records that concerns me, but the existence of multiple values and sub-values and the queries I might want. In the food example, for instance, one "item", such as Chicken Noodle Soup, might have several brands (Campbell's, Progresso, ???) and be purchased at several different stores at different prices. For frozen dinners, I might want to keep track of whether I cooked them in the oven or microwave and for how long. Setting all that up in Excel seems like it might be an endless pain in the *ss. In Access, once I get the tables and the relationships set up, all kinds of derivative data would be easier to obtain.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'll never have more than a few hundred records, let alone 10,000. It's not the number of records that concerns me, but the existence of multiple values and sub-values and the queries I might want. In the food example, for instance, one "item", such as Chicken Noodle Soup, might have several brands (Campbell's, Progresso, ???) and be purchased at several different stores at different prices. For frozen dinners, I might want to keep track of whether I cooked them in the oven or microwave and for how long. Setting all that up in Excel seems like it might be an endless pain in the *ss. In Access, once I get the tables and the relationships set up, all kinds of derivative data would be easier to obtain.
You are right. Access is the right tool for the job. I thought that we are speaking about Excel in particular. You are describing exactly a data table structure.
When I was running my own company I ran into same situation. I wanted to track the tickets taht I sold. I created a clients table, then a purchases table, etc. I first learned how to do this in Access. Then I transferred all the tables SQL and I wrote my own CRM application.
Short answer, yess.. Your data model exactly looks like thing that must be archieved in Access.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back