Cell content behavior difference between typed and copied content?

kingkillage

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hopefully my question is easy to understand and answer. First time poster here, so we'll see how this goes...

I want to sort/filter a date column by month. I want to select a given month to view ONLY that month (out of an entire year of data, for example). When I enable Sort/Filter for my data, I don't get the tiered layers of sorting options I'm looking for.

What I get:
Screenshot 1.png

What I want (pulled from another spreadsheet that I didn't build, so I don't know how to get to this):
Screenshot 2.png

Does it have anything to do with how the information is input? Copied vs. typed? I know that the second pic has the dates hand typed. I had to copy the data for my build from an exported file from a different application (so not related at all to the example spreadsheet I used in the second pic).

I also ran a few mini experiments with my build where I hand-typed the dates into their respective cells, and they suddenly appeared as selectable filter options:
Screenshot 3.png

So without undertaking the massive and tedious task of reentering each copied date by hand, how can I get this date column to filter and sort by month according to the second pic?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Sounds as though your dates are text & not real dates.
Select the column with your "dates" & then on the data tab select Text to columns, delimited, next, clear all check boxes, next, select MDY from the date dropdown, finish.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back