Cell Data Split

Data_Analyst

Hi,

I am currently importing information from outlook into a single excel cell.

The content of the email looks like the following -

--------------------------------------------
REGISTRATION INFO
John Doe
123 Excel St.
New York, NY
USA 12345
123 456 7890
johndoe@email.com

How did you hear about us?: Google.com

REGISTRANTION INFO
Jane Doe
123 Excel St.
New York, NY
USA 12345
123 456 7890
janedoe@email.com

How did you hear about us? Yahoo.com
John Smith
Owner
MyCompany
www.myfirstcompanyname.com
www.mysecondcompanyname.com

===================

All this information is in a single cell. What I am trying to do is separate the content of each line in that cell to a separate adjacent cell, but with only certain data such as the name, address, phone, and email - so it looks like the following -

Example -

John Doe | 123 456 7890 | johndoe@email.com
Jane Doe | 123 456 7890 | janedoe@email.com

The "|" represents a different column (name is column B, phone number is column C, email is column D - we would like to keep the original contents of the email in column A)

Sometimes the email can come multiple contacts and that needs to be in a separate row as shown in the example above.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Assuming the Name, Phone No and Email ALWAYS come in 3rd, 7th and 8th line (as given in the 2 examples), try this:
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1-------------------------------------------- REGISTRATION INFO -------------------------------------------- John Doe 123 Excel St. New York, NY USA 12345 123 456 7890 johndoe@email.com Gender: Male How did you hear about us?: Google.comJohn Doe123 456 7890johndoe@email.com
2-------------------------------------------- REGISTRANTION INFO -------------------------------------------- Jane Doe 123 Excel St. New York, NY USA 12345 123 456 7890 janedoe@email.com Gender: Female How did you hear about us? Yahoo.com John Smith Owner MyCompany www.myfirstcompanyname.com www.mysecondcompanyname.comJane Doe123 456 7890janedoe@email.com
Sheet2
Excel 2003
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=MID(A1,FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",3))+1,FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",4))-FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",3))-1)
C1=MID(A1,FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",7))+1,FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",8))-FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",7))-1)
D1=MID(A1,FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",8))+1,FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",9))-FIND("@@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),"@@",8))-1)

Upvote 0
Thank you for your great efforts on this drsarao. It is always great to see things in multiple methods.

wigi, I make sure that once I receive the help, I do make it a point to share the information across the many support platforms we have. All of the forums are excellent, and by seeing multiple ways of how things get done, it helps everyone become even better at helping each other.

Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it!

Upvote 0
wigi, I make sure that once I receive the help, I do make it a point to share the information across the many support platforms we have.

Please do not lie.

- You did not put any link to the other forum(s), not here, not at Ozgrid.

- There were almost 20 replies in the other topic at Ozgrid this morning, and still you refused to update the topic here.

- What about the other topic you were cross-posting: also signalling updates on the other board?

Wigi

Upvote 0
Please be assured once everything is updated and I am satisfied with the responses, I will be updating all posts.

Thank you for looking out for the credibility of these wonderful forums.

Kind Regards.

Upvote 0
Please be assured once everything is updated and I am satisfied with the responses, I will be updating all posts.

That's much too late.

It's all about losing time on topics that are already answered. The most basic requirement is to add a link to the other forum. Second, add updates once you get a satisfactory solution. You decided not to do so.

Turn the situation around: you are the helper spending time during the weekend on a topic that is already solved... Very nice.

You should definitely read this page: http://www.excelguru.ca/node/7

Upvote 0
Thank you wigi. I will make sure to point out the cross posts in my future posts.

Thank you all for the help! It is truly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back