cell date formatting

rcocrane99

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to think of a way to easily input dates into a cell however the formatting is very important, it needs to be dd mmm yy hh:mm, my goal is to make this "full proof" as many people will be inputting data. I need it to get to where if you type "May 10 2024 8 am" it automatically swaps to "10 May 2024 08:00" Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
as many people will be inputting data.
Directly inputting dates into a cell can be tricky and prone to errors, especially when multiple users are involved. In your case, is it possible for a user to enter data such as "2-5-2024 8 am" or just "2-5-2024"?
I suggest using an input box that will automatically appear when the user enters the date by utilizing the Worksheet Change event. Through the input box, the code will verify the date and ask the user if it is correct.
What is your regional date setting, dmy or mdy?

Upvote 0
Directly inputting dates into a cell can be tricky and prone to errors, especially when multiple users are involved. In your case, is it possible for a user to enter data such as "2-5-2024 8 am" or just "2-5-2024"?
I suggest using an input box that will automatically appear when the user enters the date by utilizing the Worksheet Change event. Through the input box, the code will verify the date and ask the user if it is correct.
What is your regional date setting, dmy or mdy?
I would prefer for the data to be dmy but i do need the time attached to that so dd mmm yy hh:mm

Upvote 0
My question was "is it possible for a user to enter data such as "2-5-2024 8 am" or just "2-5-2024"?
If that happens what do you want to do? reject the entry?

Upvote 0
Yes a rejection would great, that being said i went back and looked up a input box and if there is something I could make that had a day, month, year and time box to ensure everything is put in correctly that would be awesome.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anil K Sonawane

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back