change time stamp to 15 minute intervals

Rebekahand

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I am looking for a way to auto change a time stamp or a entered time into a 15 minute interval

My job has me bill in 15 minute units so i document in excel as i go. It would be a lot easier if i could put the time "14:32" in and it auto changed it to "14:30-14:45"

Any formulas for this?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hello and welcome to MrExcel!

Excel can't change the value contained in an input cell using a formula, instead we use a helper cell to work on what was input.

Before we start a quick explanation on how Excel stores time values. Excel stores time as a value between 0 and 1 and then displays that value as a time. For instance 0.5 is midday, 0.25 is 6am and 0.75 is 6pm etc. There are 1440 minutes per day and 96 quarter hours per day (this knowledge will come in handy in about 30 seconds). Assuming you have entered a time value such as 14:32 into cell A2, then the following formulas will give what you want:

Cell B2: =ROUNDDOWN(A2*96,0)/96
This gives you the start time for the quarter hour. Format as time.

An issue with your request is it is unclear if 14:45 belongs in the 14:30-14:45 bracket, or the 14:45-15:00 bracket. Instead should the bracket be 14:30-14:44? I am assuming that is the case with this formula:
Cell C2: =ROUNDUP((A2+1/1440)*96,0)/96-1/1440
This gives you the end time of the quarter hour. Format as time.

If however you want to show 14:45 instead of 14:44 as the end time, then this formula in C2 will give the answer you want:
or Cell C2: =ROUNDUP((A2+1/1440)*96,0)/96

These values will be in 2 separate cells (B2 & C2) but can be combined using another formula in in cell D2:
=TEXT(B2,"hh:mm") & "-" & TEXT(C2,"hh:mm")

You could combine all 3 formulas into one if you are comfortable doing that.

I trust that helps

Upvote 0
Try
Excel Formula:
=TEXT(ROUND(A1*24*4,0)/(24*4),"hh:mm") & "-" & TEXT(ROUND((A1+TIME(0,15,0))*24*4,0)/(24*4),"hh:mm")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back