changing range A1:A2 to have number instead of column letter reference vba

drop05

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello i have the below formula and would like to edit it to get it into a for loop

MainPage.Range("15:15" & LastColumn).Locked = False
MainPage.Range("15:15" & LastColumn).FormulaHidden = False

the way i would like to edit it is instead of just doing the whole row from i would like to do it with the columns as well but the column is referenced with an integer

so it would be like
MainPage.Range("D15:D15").Locked = False
MainPage.Range("D15:D15").FormulaHidden = False
MainPage.Range("E15:E15").Locked = False
MainPage.Range("E15:E15").FormulaHidden = False

MainPage.Range("P15:P15").Locked = False
MainPage.Range("P15:P15").FormulaHidden = False
MainPage.Range("Q15:Q15").Locked = False
MainPage.Range("Q15:Q15").FormulaHidden = False

The column would be the integer so "i"

but not sure how to write it like that where i am not putting the column letter would rather it be a number reference so i can write some math on what "i" will be or if needing to add other integers to do the math

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Try:

VBA Code:
r = 15
c = 16
MainPage.Cells(r, c).Locked = False

If you have multiple consecutive columns, you can do something like:

VBA Code:
r = 15
c = 16
n = 5
MainPage.Cells(r, c).Resize(, n).Locked = False

Upvote 0
I see, i had logic using cells before but kept getting a run time error 1004 for it, here is my logic below if you could maybe see what i did wrong.
I am getting the run time error here on this line:
main1.Cells(rowNumCol + rowMult, (((i - 1) * (entColAmtCol)) + colNum) + FirstColOffFourCol).Locked = False

What my code is doing is it is unlocking a cell, the cell is merged so i figured just do it for the two cells in which got merged, but it will loop through and go X amount of rows down and X amount of columns over, so should go through the first batch of columns which will have another for loop inside it to go through X amount of rows then go to the next batch column do the same with the rows and so on

is it because of the .cells with the .locked? i saw a lot of .range with .locked is all?

VBA Code:
Sub Unprotect()

Dim entColAmtCol, colNum, SecColOffFourCol, FirstColOffFourCol, rowMultCol, rowNumCol, SG_RowMultCol, rowMult, groupNum, sg, iterAmtCol, i As Integer

Dim page1 As Workbook
Set page1 = Application.ThisWorkbook
Dim page1_ws As Worksheet

Dim page1_list As Worksheet
Set page1_list = page1.Worksheets("List")

Dim num_ent As Integer
num_ent = page1_list.Cells(Rows.count, 2).End(xlUp).Row - 4

Dim main1 As Worksheet
Set main1 = page1.Worksheets("Main")

entColAmtCol = 4
colNum = 4
FirstColOffFourCol = 13
SecColOffFourCol = 14
rowNumCol = 15
rowMultCol = 66
rowMult = 0
iterAmtCol = 11

For i = 1 To num_ent
    For groupNum = 1 To iterAmtCol

main1.Cells(rowNumCol + rowMult, (((i - 1) * (entColAmtCol)) + colNum) + FirstColOffFourCol).Locked = False
        main1.Cells(rowNumCol + rowMult, (((i - 1) * (entColAmtCol)) + colNum) + SecColOffFourCol).FormulaHidden = False

rowMult = rowMult + rowMultCol

Next groupNum
Next i

End Sub

Next i

Upvote 0
Well, your extract has a "Next i" after the End Sub. I assume that's just an erroneous line in the print out. As far as the rest of the macro, I copied into my workbook, renamed a couple of sheets to Main and List, and I ran it. It ran successfully without errors. So I'd guess your problem is something with your workbook. I also just set the num_ent value to 5. I'd just recommend you run the macro again, and when it hits the error, figure out what all the values are and see if they are valid. Since you're dealing with the Locked attribute, you might experiment with protecting/unprotecting the sheet. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Well, your extract has a "Next i" after the End Sub. I assume that's just an erroneous line in the print out. As far as the rest of the macro, I copied into my workbook, renamed a couple of sheets to Main and List, and I ran it. It ran successfully without errors. So I'd guess your problem is something with your workbook. I also just set the num_ent value to 5. I'd just recommend you run the macro again, and when it hits the error, figure out what all the values are and see if they are valid. Since you're dealing with the Locked attribute, you might experiment with protecting/unprotecting the sheet. Good luck!
Thank you! Yes i will go step by step, maybe i mis-spelled something or had a leading space thank you!

Upvote 0
Yes sorry for the next next i accidently copied and pasted it.

Upvote 0
I am getting an unable to set the locked property of the range class of the line

i am not sure why this is happening and that it worked on your side

Upvote 0
was able to get it to work with no errors! Added a .MergeArea before the .locked and before the .formulahidden and it worked!
thank you again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VBquery757

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back