Column/Bar Chart Displaying Stones/Pounds

Pejayuk

Hi,

I have been trying since yesterday to add a simple column or bar type chart to a worksheet that I will be using to record weight loss. I just need the first series to display the target weight and each week to add a new column in series 2 for current weight to show progress.

The problem I cannot resolve is how to get the chart to display stones and pounds correctly. Is there anyway I can get it to show that there are 14 pounds in a stone?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I have spent hours searching but having little knowledge of Excel, cannot find anything that I can understand.

Many Thanks,

Peter

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Here's one way.

You need to have each weight entered into a single cell, so for example 12 stone 7 pounds would be entered as 12.5

Right click on the chart's Y axis, and go into the Scale tab.
Untick the option for Auto on Major unit, and set this to 1, so this will be your marker for stones.
Untick the option for Minor Unit, and set this to 0.0714285714 - this is the same as saying 1/14.

Then go to the Pattern tab, and make sure that BOTH major tick mark type AND minor tick mark type are set to something OTHER than "none".
In other words, make sure that both major and minor tick marks are shown.

You will now get the NUMBER of stones shown, and you will also get a tick marker for each pound, although you won't see the NUMBER of pounds shown.

Upvote 0
Try formatting the numbers as fractions in fourteenths

I don't have Excel here but I believe its at:

Format >Cells >Numbers >Custom

0 0/14

Look at the Built-in Fractions Examples

Upvote 0
Great idea Mark !

Unfortunately some numbers look a bit clumsy in that format. For example 10 stones exactly appears as 10 0/14.

Is there a format that would improve on this ?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks Gerald and Mark for the replies. I've tried both suggestions and although not exactly what I was after in the way of display clarity, they do both do the trick and are better than anything I came up with.

With the fraction formatting idea, I've been experimenting and discovered that #"s" ??/14"lb" looks pretty good. Wish there was a way of hiding the /14 part but it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again,

Peter

Upvote 0
Enter your first value in A1 and post this formula in B1:

=INT(A1)&" ST "&IF(ROUND((A1-INT(A1))/(1/14),0)=0,"",ROUND((A1-INT(A1))/(1/14),0)&" LB")

Drag the formula down in column B and use as the basis of the chart labels

Upvote 0
Thanks for the formula Mark,

It looks fine on the sheet. When I create the chart though, I can't get the formula I have copied down B1:B12 to display up the left side of Column Chart.

I open the Source Data box and I've set the values A1:A12. Problem is, there only seems to be an option to specify a range of cells for the (X) axis. Is there a way around this so they can be for the (Y) axis?

Thanks again,

Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back