combobox selection posts to active cell

BobDen

Friends, I am a newbie. I have spent 3 hours on MrExcel and MS Excel help with no answer to what should be a simple question, so I suspect I just don't understand enough.

I have an Excel 2010 spreadsheet where I want to enter data in individual cells by selecting a value in a combo box located in the header section above the freeze pane.

I have figured out how to insert a combo box and link to the lookup range. I cannot figure out how to set the properties to enter the output into the current/active cell.

The use case is: User selects a cell (e.g. B5)in the spreadsheet, scrolls down in the combo box to the desired item, picks the desired item (e.g. the third item in the list), the sequence number of the selected item (e.g. 3 in this case) is entered into the /current/active cell (e.g. B5). User moves to another cell in the spreadsheet (e.g. B6) and repeats the process.

It appears obvious that combo box properties should allow me to specify the cell to receive the combo box output and I can get it to enter into a specific, pre defined cell location, but I do not know how to set the properties to enter the output into whatever cell is current/active.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. BobDen

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
1. Assign a macro to the listbox, if there isn't one already
2. Copy the line of code below into the macro
3. Change DDBox1 in the line of code to the name of the DropDown control
4. Test

Code:
   ActiveCell.Value = Range(ActiveSheet.Shapes("[COLOR=green][B]DDBox1[/B][/COLOR]") _
                        .DrawingObject.LinkedCell).Value

Upvote 0
Thanks. Can you point me to information about assigning a macro to the combobox. I can make a macro, but don't know how to link it to the combobox. Thanks...BobDen

Upvote 0
There are two basic ways to create a ComboBox. How a macro is assigned depends on how the ComboBox was created.

1. From the "Forms" toolbox:
Right click ComboBox
Assign Macro

2. From the "Control Toolbox" toolbox:
View "Control Toolbox"
Go into "Desighn mode" (first icon)
Right click ComboBox
View Code

Upvote 0
Thank you. I used an activex combobox because I needed to include 2 columns. I will follow your instructions and will report my success! BobDen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back