Comma delimited list of months, subject to a few variables that dictate which months

diversification

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there, I'm trying to write a function that will give me the outputs you see in the yellow cells. I tossed together a quick helper table with the months listed as you see them. My thought was to use a TEXTJOIN function of some sort to pick out relevant months from the helper table and join them, but if it's easier to do without the helper table, that's fine also.

What I'm trying to get the function to do is:
(1) Look at the Start Month, and find that month in Column 1 of the helper table
(2) Look to see if the Start Month needs to be listed twice (Start Month Twice = Yes or No) and either list the start month once or twice.
(3) Return remaining number of months (How Many Months) in order with a comma & space delimiter.

Please note, I need to avoid VBA / Macros, and instead use functions to complete this.

1645130090787.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Yep, that works - thank you!

The DATEVALUE function isn't one I've used before, but I really like the way you used it here. I just played around with it and it seems that it works properly if I arrange it with the month before the day as well... ie. DATEVALUE(B1&"/1") returns the same value as DATEVALUE("1/"&B1). That flexibility is very nice, but I imagine one must be careful when dealing with dates in such formats as 1/2/2022 -- this could be Jan 2nd 2022 or Feb 1st 2022, however when I tested it, it appears to treat this example as Jan 2nd 2022.

Also, it seems like Excel in interpreting "TRUE" as having a value of 1 when input into an equation, and "FALSE" acts as a 0. I've never come across that before, but it's great to know, because it'll certainly help me shorten a few functions here and there, but it's a bit confusing too... If I try =TRUE=1 or =FALSE=0, both return FALSE. I guess I'll just have to be very cautious about how I use that.

One quick question to close out: is there a benefit to using "1900" for the year value in the DATE function? When I was trying to write this formula myself, I was just leaving out the year, and things seemed to go ok, but if using 1900 is a best practice, I'll adopt that.

Anyway, thank you again!

Upvote 0
It's the minus sign that coerces the True to 1 & False to 0 (any maths operation will do it).

is there a benefit to using "1900" for the year value in the DATE function?
I just used 1900 because it's the first year that Excel accepts, but you could use any year

Upvote 0
It's the minus sign that coerces the True to 1 & False to 0 (any maths operation will do it).

I just used 1900 because it's the first year that Excel accepts, but you could use any year
That all makes perfect sense. Thank you again for the help!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back