Compare lists of employees on two spreadsheets using email address as unique identifiers

WESTERNWALL

Board Regular
Hi
I have two spreadsheets, each contains a list of employees with email addresses as the unique identifiers. Sheet 1 is the source sheet. Sheet 2 contains all the employees in sheet 1 and a lot more. I need to match up the list on Sheet 2 to Sheet 1 using the email addresses as the unique identifier. In the end, if there are 100 employees on Sheet 1 (the source list), Sheet 2 must list the same 100 employees. What I thought of was using the VlookUp function and for every employee on both sheets, let say 1, will appear at the end of the list on Sheet 2 (column G). Combo of VlookUp and IF functions?? I would sort the table on Sheet 2 according to column G (1 and blank cell), and delete the employees with blank cells ending up with the same list on the two worksheets. Can you help me, please?
Many thanks.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
you can use a countif() which will give a 0 or 1

then filter on the 0 and delete
BUT , you also need to check sheet1

=countif(range on sheet 1 , cell in sheet2 ) - that will indentify all emails that are not in sheet1, with a zero
you would need to do the same on sheet1
=countif(range on sheet 2 , cell in sheet1 ) , that way - you will see if any of the 100 emails are NOT in sheet2
as you wont know if ALL of sheet 1 is on SHEET 2 - without checking sheet1
unless thats impossible - but if sheet2 only has 10 out of the 100 emails, you would need to know thats as it wont be identical when deleted

Upvote 0
Perfectly simple. Thank you. I found a combo: IF and MATCH. I’ll be using yours in future. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
you are welcome
happy you found a working solution

Upvote 0
Perfectly simple. Thank you. I found a combo: IF and MATCH. I’ll be using yours in future. Much appreciated.
Good to hear you got the solution.
If you would like to post the actual solution then it is perfectly fine to mark your post as the solution to help future readers. Otherwise, please do not mark a post that doesn't contain a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back